4 Jacks - Gold Coast canals 29-11-15

helibase

I headed off early on Sunday morning in search of jacks in the Gold Coast canals. My main aim was to catch a jack off the surface, but after my efforts from the previous weekend (losing $100+ worth of lures to angry jacks) I just wanted to land a single jack and get my mojo back.

Setup:

• Freaksports Assassin GT Kayak

• Nordic Stage Custom Artist 7’, 1000 Stella, 8lb braid and leader

• IS wasp 50

• Nordic Stage Areal Pro 6’6, 2500 Rarenium, 15lb braid and leader

• Lucky Craft G Splash 65

My strategy was to use the popper first, then follow up with the wasp to try and increase my hook-up rate by covering both water columns.

Well, it wasn’t long before I landed my first and smallest jack for the morning.

3.thumb.jpg.5367d7cf2cd026bcc4adb3a402c0

What a cutie… I can’t believe he took a lure almost the same size as himself.

My 2nd jack came along not too long after, smashing the IS wasp again.

4.thumb.jpg.d355f56514f4ef9603fc52bf3272

Upsizing one centimetre at a time :)

With 2 pups landed my mojo was back and in full swing. All I needed now was one to take my popper.

Pop… Pop… Ka-boom! Jack number 3 off the surface.

1.thumb.jpg.6aa9d2d57c8a077cb8442c4c7431

Couldn’t be happier. He smashed it in shallow water near no structure. Just goes to show that you should fish every bit of water because you never know where a jack will be.

Feeling pretty happy with myself and almost calling it a day, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw my popper being engulfed again by an explosion of water in full sunlight. What the…  After a very solid fight, I was overwhelmed with joy as an angry jack came to the surface.

6.thumb.jpg.d7ec666f25ab7037f0ad289d2faa

What an awesome looking fish.

2.thumb.jpg.18c6ab45c121b29f8e25df0d7611

I ended up with 4 jacks, 1 bream, 1 cod and 1 trevally for the morning. I dropped 3 good fish and lost my IS wasp to a big cod, I think.

I also saw dozens of baby jacks (same size as my first one) cruising around with schools of bream. It was cool seeing these little fish swimming around knowing that they’re there and breeding well.

Enjoy.

Ian

Archived