garmin 95sv

max pwr

I currently have a hummingbird sides can GPS combo flush mounted in front of my steering wheel and a furuno 585 mounted on a bracket.

Generally I use the hummingbird just as a nav aid and the furuno does all the sounding work but the hummingbird is a small screen and it's a pain to read when I'm doing drifts and watching for marks coming up... I have to turn from the back of the boat, lean over the seat and peer over the steering wheel. 

I'm thinking of replacing the furuno with a garmin 95sv which has a larger screen and will be able to be mounted higher and in a better view space. I haven't fallen in love with the furuno......I can read it easily enough and I can't fault it's abilities even when going 50 kph it easily finds bait and fish but it's not a pretty picture and i think I'd like something a bit more blingy  just cos.

This will give me two separate side view combos and more options for viewing depending on if I'm on the move, drifting etc.

I like lowrance as well but the garmin is Cheaper with more standard functions and after having a play with several different units seems like a goer.

Any opinions on the garmin units or suggestions on a different unit would be appreciated.

Garmin is definitely the pick of the bunch lately, their pricing and features are only matched by Lowrance. I've always had Lowrance(though grew up using Humminbirds), and while they're easy to use, I've had common hardware issues with both units I've had. If you're after bling and an impressive screen that's easy to see in almost all conditions, take a look at the RayMarine's. Not something I would probably normally consider, but their features and practicality are pretty cool. I'm looking at a Furuno next, like you said, not the most user friendly but seem bulletproof. After a couple of onwater issues I've had with units over the last couple of years, reliability is big on my list. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Hey Max Pwr,

We upgraded our sounder about 3 months ago and went from a garmin 551 to the 95SV and we are really happy with it so far. We have only been out on 5-6 trips with it so far so we are still dialing it in.  We are in the bay 90% of the time and the down view and side view has been really clear in upto 30m of water (haven't used it offshore yet).  Really fast unit when changing views and the screen is nice and big. The garmins are pretty easy to use too

The only downside is when wearing polarized sunglasses and the sun is directly hitting the screen you have to take your glasses off to read it (but this is rare and only when the sun is in a bad spot)

But Anyways.. we have been pretty chuffed with it so far and I would definitely recommend it

Archived