Leslie Dam?

Glenn S

G'day guys, myself and the lads are heading out west this weekend hunting and fishing, my question is has any one got any experience at leslie dam? (west of Warrick) Id love to catch a murray cod but hear yellas are more common. Any suggestions on lures to use etc?

Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Glenn.

g'day glenn, 

I have fished Leslie dam quite a bit over the last couple of years and have had a lot of success on the yellas there.  I always call into Tackle and Tusk on the way there to get the rundown on whether they are on the chew and also love the range of native lures he has that are hard to find in Brizzie.   Most successful lures I have found are lipless crankbaits (Tungsten vibes and berkley frenzies in particular cant afford Jackalls) either casting or trolling around the edges.  not a lot of structure in the dam so be prepared to motor around to find them, the old creek beds I found to be the best bet.

Hi Glenn,  

I've made the trip to leslie 4 times so far this year and it does not disappoint. I have fished with live shrimp and caught plenty of yellas south of the bouy line near the dam wall. There are plenty of granite boulders in this spot and in about 5-7 metres you should find some nice fish. Lots of anglers fish this area so you can't miss it. I would suggest using a reef pic if anchoring as leslie has already claimed one of mine in the rocks. Last trip I hooked up with a big cod I'm guessing which after several big runs proved heavy gear is a must if a big cod takes your lure/bait. At the tackle and tusk shop local anglers also use packaged salt water yabbies and they work well for yellas . Some local anglers have told me trolling large hard body lures along side the weed areas has been working for cod and this will also pick up yellas . Like most dam fishing early morning and late afternoon are the choice times I've found at leslie. Leslie dam is a healthy fishery I just wish it was closer. 

Hopefully you can put a post up from a successful trip after the weekend. 

Cheers  

Steve

Archived