Suggestions Fix (update)

Luvit

One of my seat posts have come loose, probably the offshore trips have taken its toll. It is a self draining deck and near impossible to get a spanner onto the bolts underneath, Little access.

My thoughts are to screw self tapping stainless screws around the base into the upright post and applying tefgel or similar to prevent electrolysis between the SS and aluminium. 

I would normally just replace things that are broken but not being able to remove the bases I'll have to repair it.  Any other suggestions on how to how best fix it in the most permanent and visually acceptable way?

image.thumb.jpeg.994e2ec0e05b48f36c2caf0

Is the post loose in the base or the base loose where secured to the floor.

The base may just be secured to the floor with coarse thread wood type screws if that is the case just unscrew them and rotate the base and re screw and possibly drill the base and use more screws.

Try to contact the boat manufacturer for more info/advice if you have to move the base as you really need to know what is under the base as the floor material bay just be a thin layer of glass on ply and the ply possibly deteriorated due to water ingress.and then you have a major job.

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray,

The base is solid as, it's the post that has come loose. It is an expansion fit into the base and over time with the over weight deckies (:ausflag:) rocking backwards and forwards it has loosened. I initially tried putting a lump of wood on the seat post and hitting it with a hammer and it tightened it up for only one trip.

This is a photo from an access hatch and the seat has reinforcing where it bolts through the deck. As you can see it long way back and even fully stretched I wont be able to reach the all the nuts with a spanner.

underfloor.thumb.JPG.9405034b8bbe791109a

Apart from the pk screws for visual appealing all I can think of is injecting some epoxy glue down the flutes and that may nor adhere due to oil etc in the base.

Maybe talk to Bipolar and see if it would be feasable to weld it without having problems with the heat,

Seeing that Elicat did it he should do the honorable thing and buy you a new boat.:devil:

Another alternative is to have a talk to Lance about something similar to this,

Remove your existing post and trim the base with an angle grinder so that you can drill and tap the existing base and screw the new assembly to it or if the metal on existing base too thin long coach screws to attach new assembly/

Cheers

Ray

If its only for Elicat a milk crate will do him.:devil:

40CM COLUMBIA PEDESTAL + TOP

Boating Shop / Seats And Pedestals / Seat Bases
Printable Version  Print

Product Details

Product ID
V2-293772
Vendor:

Price
$145.20 $133.58

You Save
$11.62
Tax included

Purchase

Quantity : 
Overview
Description
* Heavy-duty cast aluminium base with 6 x 8mm countersunk mounting holes for a solid support in a cabin or cockpit. * High-strength aluminium powder coated finish friction locking swivel base. * Moulded nylon cup insert provides a smooth swivel performance. * 228mm (9") anodised finish base. * 73mm (2 7/8") satin finish post * 360 degree rotation trac-lock swivel with a centrally located locking handle easy to reach with left or right hand.

Specifications

Note: Class AD (Driver): Seat mount must incorporate a mechanical interference lock and resist 150 foot pounds of

After a lot of deliberation I decided to keep the post and fix it back in position. 

I bought some stainless steel 1/4 dome bolts. I tapped threads into the base and the pole.

image.thumb.jpeg.1cab0c095238d440390a3f6

image.thumb.jpeg.8670fce30677e928b2bc479image.thumb.jpeg.e9608a68a24e3d114f62fc5

I then squirted some tef-gel in the holes and coated the threads of the bolts. This should prevent the electrolysis between the SS bolts and the Aluminium. 

Bolted up the gut and the pole is solid. Cleaned up the excess fur that squeeze out with some turps and job is done. 

image.thumb.jpeg.127dd7898958d566531ea0e

The test will be at Hetvery bay next week with a 100kg passenger putting it through its paces. 

Thanks for the suggestions and after considering each one there were additional complications which lead me to this fix and I'm happy with the result.

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on what I did to fix the seat post problem.

I spoke with both Aussie123 and Bipolar and both were very generous with there time and experience. Thanks guys.

And after a lot deliberation and straining I eventually was able to remove the base. With it removed I was able to get a aluminium welder to run a weld top and on the bottom of the base.  He thinks it will fine forever now.

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.6a9edc43f9f28285409b3IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.4b0f02cf3897608817bbb

Now to refit the seat and I'm back in action.

I would ideally like to make the seats removable but the cost is prohibitive for the good ones. Don't think I can trust the cheaper versions in rough weather.

Ultimately I think I will be putting a access hatch in between the seats so I can bolt both the seat bases down fully. Not keen on putting a hole in the floor but seems it will be the best way for the long run.

Lance I even thought of coping the relax idea and using the aluminium base plates you have and attaching the existing bases to them. But with the dissimilar metals of the stainless bolts and aluminium base I decided against it.

Might think of away around eventually. 

Thanks again for your help.:):):)

Archived