A Few Recent Lures

bersim

Might as well post some finished shots of a few lures I've been working on.  Finished them the other day and very happy with the final product.  Shine is exactly what I'm after now.  I also got some new resin for these ones and the strength is just ridiculous.  Made up a little test to see how strong they are and swung from it with all my body weight without any signs of breaking.  I think there will be a few of these heading up to HB with Sam and Aaron so I'll be keen to see how they go.  Very disappointed that I couldn't make it but hopefully this will be an AFO tradition and I can head up next year (I mean I'll definitely be heading up before then but for the social side of things).  

IMG_5276.thumb.jpg.3a57a510c2943714191bdIMG_5319.thumb.jpg.ee225188236b46e092a8cIMG_5275.thumb.jpg.a415e79847f233f88ad4bIMG_5304.thumb.jpg.115e0de9c1941231de359

James

Thanks for the kind words @Old Scaley.  I've made them in fast, medium and slow sink.  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so have only just started to feel proud of the overall look and action that they have.  There's been a lot of frustration when I've finished the lure and it's not up to my standards.  Still stuff I'm working on but every lure gets more and more refined.

Glad you like the look of them @Angus.  It's great being able to make lures for different people to use as it brings me a lot of satisfaction seeing them being used for different species all around the place.  A few will be off to Vanuatu which is cool!   Yeah after year 12 I'll have a decent number of months to bang out quite a few!

Oh yeah I forgot you had that one @Luvit.  It's a shame it has a bad finish.... I'll have to make you up a better one when I get the time.  Hopefully it works well for you although my new ones are far better action wise.  In saying that the popper that you caught fish on up there didn't have the greatest of actions!  Hope the tuna are out and about and you hook into a few on the lure!

James

Yeah no problems @kmcrosby78.  When I get a chance I'll whip up a couple for you in whatever colours you want.

Haha wow 160g is a lot!  I'm thinking of making a bigger stickbait as these are only 120mm.  What size do you use when you go fishing for GT?  Would be good to see what you use so I can make larger stickbaits that will be effective for GT and other monsters.  Sounds like another fun project.  @Damien2Rad (just realised I didn't tag you)

Yeah go ahead @christophagus!  I've made quite a lot of wooden lures and bass lures are a piece of cake now haha.  I'd be happy to help you out and get those lures looking as professional as possible!

James

16 minutes ago, Damien2Rad said:

Anything upto 300mm or even longer, depending on the profile of the ure.

I can cast and work a stick bait upto ~200g with my PE10 gear, but I know of stickbaits upto 350g (Carpenter GT Gamma 350) and rods that can cast those weights.....

@Damien2Rad want this one? It is in Ginger Ninja pattern :)

@berism mate that is the largest T'b we ever did next to one of yours for comparison...

1.thumb.jpg.d49ea8ccc60d95439a4bd30c9f14

Geez that's massive!  Might just go with a stickbait around the 200-220mm mark cause anything bigger than that is hugely expensive due to the amount of resin and silicon to make the mould!  I have drawn up a few lure designs so it will be fun to bring them to life in the holidays.  I'm sure there will be plenty of guys who wouldn't mind testing them out. @Damien2Rad

Thanks for that @Angus.  Looks like one of the TB lures that Henry lent me to play around with.  They are one heavy lure that's for sure!!!  Hmmm if I make one at 200-220mm then it would look out of place to not have a size in the middle too.  Maybe I'll make a 160-170mm one as well...

James

Archived