Big School Of Big Kingies

tugger

Got out last week on 1 of the only calm days we have had in a long time jumped south passage bar early and filled the bait tank with yakkas and slimies then anchored up and set out a slimie under a float and sent down a couple of yakkas to the bottom. We then floatlined pillies out for reefies and it wasn't long before we started to boat some good snapper and moses perch then the slimie gets hit on the surface and we were on to our 1st marlin for the morning.

After a short fight we lost the black marlin but shortly we saw another 2 marlin free jumping around our boat, I quickly reset another slimie under a float i watched the float for a while then I see the float shaking. I picked up the road and took the reel out of gear the fish soon moved off with the bait slowly then it took off fast and I set the hook it was on this marlin could move and I fought him all around the boat and eventually got some line back. I knew I had turned his head and realised I was beating him, getting more line back I had him close to the boat when a shake of his head the bill hit the main line and it was all over another lost.

I reset another slimie under a float and got back to boating some reefies, when all of a sudden the bottom yakka goes off and we were in to a school of kingies the 1st couple of yakkas were lost to big brutes taking us back in to the reef. Then i got the 1st kingie in after a brutal battle this fish fought all the way to the boat and the net got put away as we needed the gaff it was just over the meter mark

P1030397.JPG.fac0dd1f0789ca4bbd2b49aad20

This was the a red hot session on these kingies as soon as the yakkas were hitting the bottom they would shake hard enough to see it through the rod then 2 thumps strike and you were on. We got 4 in the boat all over the meter the biggest going 110cm the rest just blew us away we would have lost 15 yakkas to these brutes and by the end we were buggered but we were not finished there as the live slime gets a strike and a bit later a spottie mackerel hits the deck.

The fishing was insane to say the least as from 6am through to 830am we did not stop with good fish in 1 form or another the reefies just kept coming and before long we had 14 moses 5 snapper 4 kingies and a spottie in the box and the call was made to head home. After 10 cold stubbies the filleting was done and all the boat and gear cleaned, great day had weather wise and on the fish bring on another session like that

P1030409.JPG.b36a873c979ae3e0112bd98146a

Cracking session there Mark, congrats on some fantastic fish and a heap of very nice feeds. Some of those moses are very solid - bet you were glad to see them come into the boat to add some colour.  Hmmmm ..... might need to get out over the next few weeks before Michael's footy season starts me thinks .... Unlucky on the marlin - do you reckon the Spanish should start firing around 'there' soon?

Nice session mark, that's a good haul there. I never used to be a fan  of freezing them but in the last year or so I've discovered how good kings can be when looked after and cryvaced properly. Unlucky with the marlin but still great to see them jump

21 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Cracking session there Mark, inngrats on some fantastic fish and a heap of very nice feeds. Some of those moses are very solid - bet you were glad to see them come into the boat to add some colour.  Hmmmm ..... might need to get out over the next few weeks before Michael's footy season starts me thinks .... Unlucky on the marlin - do you reckon the Spanish should start firing around 'there' soon?

Yeah the spanish will be around now for many more months Kevin   l I

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

When you first put the livies out, prior to knowing there were kingfish there, did you have wire Mark? Thought perhaps you may have in the hopes of Spanish - just curious to know if kingies would be put off by a wire trace or not?

I had wire on the livies under the floats and the livies I sent to the bottom were on pananosyter rigs 80lb fluro carbon

20 hours ago, tugger said:

Kingies that size off the rocks would be hard they are brutes 

Oh I know! I have recently armed myself with a GT sort of set up for the challenge :) 

Biggest I have landed is an 85cm on a 20lb rod. Really want to crack a meter.

I except to lose some in the process though :)

Angus

Archived