Quintrex Explorer 320 For 1st Boat

curranboy99

Hello all. I've looking at boats and kayaks (when I get enough cash for a deposit) lately to progress my fishing and get to spots where shorebased fishos can't as well as covering more water. And I like the look of the quintrex explorer 320 matched with a 4stroke 5hp outboard (Suzuki on a particular online package) and a trailer all in one package. And was wondering has any had experience with these rather small tinnies (if I got one it would only be me, fishing gear, small esky on board) and if they may be suited for a beggineer boatie fishing the saltwater creeks and rivers in SEQ. Thanks any feedback would be appreciated :)

Nice mate. There will be no stopping you now!!  Would that setup be suitable for a beginner? Definitely.  However I believe u might find it a little small after the novelty of a new boat wears off.  Have you thought about buying second hand.  It would get you into a larger boat and motor for the same price.  Maybe a boat around the 3.7m length with a 15hp.  You then have the option of getting out the bay in good weather.  Could be a more all round boat.  But that's just my opinion, you will have a ball wit whatever you decide on!!!

It would be great for a beginner, but like @Doyley said, the novelty would more than likely wear off quickly.

for the money spent on a brand new boat, you could get a slightly larger and more powerful boat. id imagine a package like your talking about would be 3 or so grand. to put into perspective, I sold my 4.2m ally craft rhino with a 40hp Suzuki on the back (6 year old engine with low hours at the time) for 4k. that boat would have taken me to Moreton if I had the balls lol. id suggest a larger boat if your planning to keep it quite a few years, 3.7-4m and engine size you can always upgrade later on down the track. or if it is just an interim until you can get a bigger boat than the package your looking at will work very well for you.

8 minutes ago, curranboy99 said:

Thanks for that info Chris doyley. I think ill go for the quinnie 320 package as i have plans (dream in a way) to buy a glass bass boat in about 5 years or so when ive enough $$$ in the bank to start a mortgage on my own house :). Thanks again

man with a plan, good to see! having the smaller boat will do a lot of good though. Will teach you about maintenance, servicing, how to operate a boat on the water etc

Ask the dealership if a water test is an option. That way you can get a feel of how the boat sits in the water with the weight of you, the motor and maybe a fuel tank down the back.  The size u are looking at is a car topper length.  Check out caravaning forums as you might pick up an absolute bargain on there. Do a lot of homework before you part with your hard earned cash.  You also said u are saving a deposit. Does this mean the rest of the boat will be financed?  Check the interest rate and the fees and charges to know how much you will actually repay. Compare the dealerships finance with other banks/lenders to see how they compare.  Going through the dealership with have u in the boat quicker, but may not be the best in terms of repayments. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, Doyley said:

Ask the dealership if a water test is an option. That way you can get a feel of how the boat sits in the water with the weight of you, the motor and maybe a fuel tank down the back.  The size u are looking at is a car topper length.  Check out caravaning forums as you might pick up an absolute bargain on there. Do a lot of homework before you part with your hard earned cash.  You also said u are saving a deposit. Does this mean the rest of the boat will be financed?  Check the interest rate and the fees and charges to know how much you will actually repay. Compare the dealerships finance with other banks/lenders to see how they compare.  Going through the dealership with have u in the boat quicker, but may not be the best in terms of repayments. Good luck!!

Thanks again doyley. Yes I do plan to get the boat financed (prefer to buy outright though). I will do my research even though its not $50k offshore boat money is money it needs to get spent well. Thanks

3 hours ago, christophagus said:

man with a plan, good to see! having the smaller boat will do a lot of good though. Will teach you about maintenance, servicing, how to operate a boat on the water etc

Thanks hopefully I do learn something, going to need though if i follow thru with getting the bass boat plan, if i crack the glass and don't know what do fixing it, ill explode on the spot into dust! ;)

Sounds like you know what you want. But as others have said I think you will find that size a bit squishy after a while. I got my old 4m tinny in good condition with a 2008 15hp motor for a great price. It was a great little starting boat for me and I actually miss it from time to time. 

But don't listen to what others say and don't go out in the bay. You might find yourself catching tuna in it and realising you want to go out there in less than perfect conditions more often and then you will accidentally by a brand new bigger boat more suited for the job :D 

That's pretty much what happened with me. 

In all seriousness I am happy to take you out mine for a day and talk about it. Bay, river, whatever. It sounds like you are in the exact same position as I was about 3 years ago so I'm sure I can give some advice. 

Wayne @Luvit took me out for my first fishing trip in a boat a few years ago and I knew I needed a boat in my life from that day on (or I had only recently bought my boat at the time). I can only pass on what I have learnt in that time. 

Pm me your Facebook name or phone number so I can text if I have a spot. 

I don't think it matters whate size boat you have, you will always have boat envy and want something just a bit bigger or better from time to time. I know what it is like when something catches your eye, especially if it is brand new. It is hard to change your mind. But I do agree with others above that you might be better to look at something slightly bigger and second hand. You will save yourself a lot of money and get a bit more flexibility. 

Brand new is great because you get warranty and you can be pretty sure it will be very reliable, but if you buy well a second hand motor will also be reliable and unless you are heading offshore, you won't get into too much trouble if you do unfortunately break down in an estuary or creek. Financing a new boat will be very easy through a dealer but there are plenty of other options that might suit if you look into it. Then you could put the difference in the repayments towards an upgrade in a few years or towards your planned mortgage.

you seem to be a really keen fisherman so there is no doubt you would get value out of whatever you buy.  Why not take up Sam's very generous offer before you make your decision. It has been great watching his fishing go ahead in leaps and bounds over that past couple of years so he will have some great advice.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You will love having your own boat.

Thanks Sam and old scaley for your feedback. Im condisring a larger used boat but worried about reliblity, warratys, even fuel consumption due to older outboards and most of them for sale ive seen dont have 4stroke outboards and nothing beats a brand toy. Also thanks sam for your very genous offer ill pm you later for details as i am quite busy for the time being and only can get out for quick landbased sessions if lucky

If you have your sights set on a particular second hand boat but are worried about the condition of the outboard, it would pay to get a mobile marine mechanic to check the outboard for you before you buy. Then depending on what he finds you make your decision whether or not to buy it. 

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

If you have your sights set on a particular second hand boat but are worried about the condition of the outboard, it would pay to get a mobile marine mechanic to check the outboard for you before you buy. Then depending on what he finds you make your decision whether or not to buy it. 

Thanks for the help again. That would be for sure a great idea getting a marine mechanic to take a look. Thanks!  

Archived