Joining The Scene - Hi From Brendan!

Brenchen

Hi guys,

My name is Brendan, I joined this forum some time ago, but only until recently have I received a couple of very nice rods/reels from a friend, and went out fishing with them (blindly)!  I didn't hook many fish, but with the limited number I had, it was enough to get me hooked instead XD!!

I am a complete newbie, located in Brisbane, in my late 20s, and I am just trying to educate myself a bit more about fishing.

Yesterday, I went to a BCF in Nerang to get a crash course on fishing (where to start, what to look for, where to go, what the lures are for, how to use them, hooks/sinkers/lines etc.), and picked up some essential tackle to get me started.  They have also adviced me to fish in Emerald Lakes.  I don't live on the Gold Coast, and I enjoy some early morning outings, so maybe Emerald Lakes is not the best choice for me most of the time.  I am still in search of a good location in Brisbane's south side for some early casts before work.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to the community, and looking forward to meet up with any of you going fishing in the near future!

As always, I'm open to learning, so "teach me" :D!

Cheers,
Brendan

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Welcome Brendan! What fishing are you planning on doing. Landbased, boat? What species do you want to target? Lures or bait?

I hope you enjoy the forum and remember to share your trip reports good or bad :)

Thanks Sam :)  I'll start with landbase I think, and species lol?  Hmm, I started to learn the names of the fish, so not sure what's a good one to start with around Brisbane.  When I spoke to the BCF guys, they seem to all agree to start with Flatheads (which I'm not a big fan of), but then they started to tell me about Jewfish, Jacks, Queen Fish etc. etc. that they caught with this and that lure :huh:.  So I came home with one of those noise making lures (a little cup at the front of a slender body), another two hard bodies, bit rounded, and a plastic spade at the front lures.  Got a package of orange/brown softbody lure and a light jig head, some small hooks/sinkers and a 10lb flurocarbon leader.  So yea, open to suggestions, but probably Salmon/Queenfish would be a good start :)

40 minutes ago, Avitir said:

What location do you work at? Southside is rather broad.

I live near Garden City but I work at St Lucia and the City :)

Archived