I Got What I Went Out For, But Not What I Expected

Brenchen

Hi guys,

After got given some rods and reels, I ambitiously set out to start chasing jews!  I watched YouTube, read articles, spoken to "experts", and along the way I might have annoyed a few people, but yesterday I knocked off work a bit earlier to get some heavy rigs go after Jews in Brissie River!

With all the excitement I went out with a cast net and my other stuff, some prawns as a fall back to Bulimba as I was told that's a good spot.

I dropped one line rigged up with prawns in the water while I try to get myself some bait fish.  I picked up the net and thought to myself, "hmm, how does this work...".  I picked it up, remember what I see people do it and tried it myself, that didn't seem to work particularly well, so after a few attempts I put the net down :(, which means apart from the dew, the net never touched the water.

So, I fished.  There were moments where as soon as I dropped the line in, waited for a few minutes and I get bites and takes.  So that's what I picked up for the night (in the pictures).  They look like jewfish to me!!  And I guess I did catch what I set out to catch!! And maybe next time, I should specify what size I aim to target as well :)

good fun nonetheless ;)

Cheers

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice report mate - always good to get out there and have a go. I suspect (but not certain) that your capture is a putty nose perch which look very similar to jewies except the top jaw/nose, but I'll let others confirm. Get practicing your cast net skills as livies will increase your chances - have fun!

Mate cast netting is one of those things that looks so easy but its not haha. I have spent hours in the backyard in the past and still struggle to get it right.

Think that might be a river perch not a jew. Close but no cigar :P.

Just a heads up @Brenchen... it seems you are starting out fishing targeting the bigger fish. Buckle yourself in for a long and frustrating road because you will have to learn all the learning curves that beginners go through; but on big fish where fine angling skills are sometimes if not usually needed... I personally would be starting on bream, whiting and flathead and build your skills up from there before you start tussling with bigger fish. You can't expect to go win an Olympic gold medal after your first swimming lesson...

Thanks for the report. Castnetting can be very tricky to master.  YouTube/google ways of throwing the net and as Sam said get out in the backyard and practice over and over.  You want your first cast to be a good one otherwise you will just scare any bait away.  What size net do u have?  Persist with it; it's a great way to get live bait and a feed of prawns when they are around.  

Yea I got a feeling it's like riding a bike.  You may learn all the techniques, but you just need those certain pieces of muscles to work together to make a good cast.  Not sure about the net size lol, the cheapest one, I think it's one of the smaller ones available from BCF.

28 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Mate cast netting is one of those things that looks so easy but its not haha. I have spent hours in the backyard in the past and still struggle to get it right.

Think that might be a river perch not a jew. Close but no cigar :P.

Just a heads up @Brenchen... it seems you are starting out fishing targeting the bigger fish. Buckle yourself in for a long and frustrating road because you will have to learn all the learning curves that beginners go through; but on big fish where fine angling skills are sometimes if not usually needed... I personally would be starting on bream, whiting and flathead and build your skills up from there before you start tussling with bigger fish. You can't expect to go win an Olympic gold medal after your first swimming lesson...

Thanks mate.  What are the chances of me actually hooking a big fish even if I can't bring it in?  I feel for me hooking a fish is hard, as I never really had the chance or need to "battle" with a fish.

Archived