Two Sessions, One Day - No Fish!

timtam_

Got back from a long weekend camping at Noosa North Shore in the rain to the idea of walkies at NPD the following morning.

On with the blades, arriving at 6:00 as the sun rose we headed along the path on the left, doubled back and then walked the path on the right. Lost 6 lures for the morning all for just one bump. I'm not sure if the bass weren't hungry if I was in the wrong area, but I've ordered another pack of blades from ebay and will be trying again soon. (any advice is very welcome)....

Home around 10, I ditched the uni assignments for an invite on a mates boat to head out from the port and target whatever is biting. Long story short - 
- Snapped off by four mackeral
- Lost a big bream boatside
- Enjoyed an albatross diving amongst the thousands of hardyheads. 

But no fish :D:D (or pics, sorry!)

Walked up the left side, doubled back and walked the right track.PNG

Tough luck. I hate landbased dam fishing, only because I haven't caught a single fish in about 4 sessions!! Im sure if you keep persisting you will get the rewards.

Do you know what mackerel they were? Lots of bait in the bay lately but not always fish feeding on them.

18 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Tough luck. I hate landbased dam fishing, only because I haven't caught a single fish in about 4 sessions!! Im sure if you keep persisting you will get the rewards.

Do you know what mackerel they were? Lots of bait in the bay lately but not always fish feeding on them.

Didn't get a visual except a few long, silver flashes, but they must have been large schoolies or spotties. Getting absolutely smoked on 30lb braid on bait, and they sliced through 70lb tough black magic leader like it was nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Luc53 said:

Personally, I'd be using spinnerbaits as they're more snag resistant than blades.

Those treble hooks just love snags!!

Yes Luc I eventually changed to a jig spin because I ran out of blades!! I struggled to cast that out as far as I could though, spinnerbaits won't make casting any easier either

40 minutes ago, timtam_ said:

Didn't get a visual except a few long, silver flashes, but they must have been large schoolies or spotties. Getting absolutely smoked on 30lb braid on bait, and they sliced through 70lb tough black magic leader like it was nothing. 

Seen a big spotty caught around peel going 92cm the other day. Could have been that or a spanish. Been stacks of spanish around from the metre mark up to the bigger models 1.3m etc.. Had the same encounter on saturday. Felt too heavy for any of the spotties I have caught (up to 90cm) so either massive spotties or spanish were what ripped up our leader after a brief blistering run. Shame you didn't get one to the boat. 

Try using a heavier jigheab on the jig spin.

Some of the NPD shores have a gentle gradient so once the sun is up, the bass retreat to deeper water which tends to need long casts and even then, it's a problem getting far enough out.

46 minutes ago, Luc53 said:

Try using a heavier jigheab on the jig spin.

Some of the NPD shores have a gentle gradient so once the sun is up, the bass retreat to deeper water which tends to need long casts and even then, it's a problem getting far enough out.

that's when blades come in handy for the long distance casts. if treble hooks are giving you snag issues then maybe try switching them to single hook setup.

I prefer jig head spinners and using various soft plastics, depending what colour works on the day

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Seen a big spotty caught around peel going 92cm the other day. Could have been that or a spanish. Been stacks of spanish around from the metre mark up to the bigger models 1.3m etc.. Had the same encounter on saturday. Felt too heavy for any of the spotties I have caught (up to 90cm) so either massive spotties or spanish were what ripped up our leader after a brief blistering run. Shame you didn't get one to the boat. 

Don't tell me that!! Ill get more upset than I already was. 

@Luc53, perhaps waders would be a wise investment....

And @christophagus, thats a good idea. Would certainly reduce my snag hookup rate. 

Archived