Bass Shutting Down?

splurgehsplurgeh

Hi guys,

Just after some advice and experiences...

I am looking at hitting Hinze or Wyaralong over the next coming 2-3 weeks.... maybe. I fish from a Kayak and generally use Hardbody lures when targets bass

I have fished Hinze for most of the summer and found it generally pretty hard with lures (far better success in the salt) but wouldn't mind one last crack before it gets cold and apparently gets difficult (for a newbie). As targeting bass is pretty new for me I am wondering if it is somewhat more difficult at this time of the year and whether I am better off chasing fish in the salt from here on in until next summer? My bass fishing generally involves throwing cranks and surface poppers/ cicadas at snags along the banks and into snags closer to shore at first light.... I have heard that when it gets colder that the fish generally school in the depths and move away from the banks. With Hinze being so large and deep and with no sounder, it could be a pretty hard prospect for me at this stage. 

I would appreciate any advice or opinions on the above.

As the weather cools down, early morning fishing gets hard as the water in the areas you're targeting is too cold for bass.

In winter, I'd be aiming at fishing late afternoon in areas that get plenty of sunshine to warm the water up.

Hey mate i fish hinze at least once a week, your not the only one that struggled over summer, i caught barely any bass all summer long this year with water temps sitting at 30 for a loooong time, the bass shut down and sulked in the depths. Now and spring is my favourite time of year to fish as the water temps start to drop the fish start feeding hard on the edges leading up to the winter spawn. They are still biting early morning and late arvo, i've seen plenty of 50s being caught over the last few weeks and the saratoga are still hanging around but not as active now it's getting cooler and the bass are competing against them again. Not all bass school in winter so you can still fish edges and timber with confidence all winter long, the fish are still there.

Hope this info helps and watch out for falling branches when you knock trees with the yak (especially if we've had alot of rain)

Cheers, Glenn.

I forgot to mention hinze can be the land of a thousand casts so if you donut 3 (or 7 my presonal record)  trips in a row keep trying, you will catch em, dam bass are notorious for being hard work at times. You also need a permit to fish there.

Tight lines, Glenn.

watch out for falling branches when you knock trees with the yak (especially if we've had alot of rain) 

We are back into wearing hard hats since we had a very close call a fortnight ago. Branch about 8 inches thick just missed the boat.

Strongly advise getting a sounder even a cheepo one so at least you have an idea where the dropoffs and underwater gullys are

Archived