Hervey Bay Mack Mayhem: 16th May

Angus

Headed up on Sunday with my Dad and a mate Tony (some may know from Craft Bottle shop at Red Hill) for a Monday charter with Andrew Chorley from Hervey Bay Fly & Sportsfishing...

It is the 4th trip I have done with him in as many years and as much as I love doing more stuff on my own these days, this is one charter I will keep coming back for. Each time has been completely different and as a guide Andrew works actively to improve your knowledge and skills. A far cry from a simple boat driver but a true guide.

Being a bit of a change over in the seasons we were unsure what we would be doing... Late season tuna, goldens or mackerel? Early season snapper? Who knew!

As luck would have it we were onto some school mackerel right out of the harbor...

1.jpg3.jpg

Dad also got into an arrow squid on chrome... Odd!

2.jpg

With a feed sorted regardless we headed out in search of longies etc.

We did not find the longies but did find late season spotties is really good numbers.. You know you are spoiled when you blatantly stop taking pictures because they all pretty much look the same!

5.jpg6.jpg

The fish were so thick I scaled my gear right down and had a blast on my 2500 Stella and light Cheater.

7.jpg9.jpg

For a change up we found some larger model Mack Tuna and opted to get a few for a change of pace. We ended boating so many I just stopped casting and watched as Tony chased them on fly.

8.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

All in all just a cracking day. Never an hour went by without some fun and for a 6am to 4pm charter that is a big tick in my book.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived