Sand Pumping Jetty - Gold Coast - Landbased Options

boehm95

Hi guys

I fish everywhere from inshore to offshore, boat based and land based, depending on the mood and time and effort I have to go fishing....  Often if I can't be bothered with the boat, I'll go to some land based spots.  Prior to purchasing a boat I found land-based options exceptionally difficult to find good information relating to, and more so recent information.  So here is a report of the SPJ across the last month of fishing.

Approx 1 month ago there were reds up to the 50cm mark landed from the very end fishing main beach side, last two hours of the incoming with 2-3m swells, taken on pilchards with heavy lead.  Some nice fish caught.

The tailor have been hit and miss, and the SPJ is not performing how it was last year quite yet.  With no tailor landed at the SPJ last night, approx 4 caught but good quality on Monday night and a handful Friday, it has not been the greatest spot to chase tailor.  I would suggest heading down to the north coast of NSW, Fingal Head from the rocks fishing surf side and around the sand pumping jetty is producing choppers.  Better quality fish are being taken from Pottsville and below.

The bream also have been hit and miss and not in the size and quality of last years season from the SPJ.  The usual techniques are still working here, as little weight as possible to keep baits on the floor and letting it wash around the pylons a little.  As per usual go to baits have remained the same, cubed pilchards, prawns and mullet.

Jew from the SPJ have been in consistent numbers this year, over the weekend there were 5 legals landed from the jetty, fishing from jew in this location is very unique and is different to how you would target Jew usually.  If you are interested in catching jew from the jetty PM me and I will let you know the ins and outs of targeting them here, just whatever you do, don't forget a flying gaff.

Whiting are still being caught in numbers, but no real size to them, all around the legal mark.  You'll find them on both sides of the jetty from halfway down to the end, light weight, very light fluorocarbon leader and a very small long shank will see you catch these.  Best baits here are beach worms, cured or live.  Prawns, very small pieces of pilchard and strips of squid.

There are a number of other land-based spots around that are producing, but to my knowledge no one spot is going off nor consistent.  If you would like some hints / pointers / places to try, just send me a personal message and I'll try help out the best I can.

Cheers

Ben

Archived