A Banks Withdrawal & Elicatt's Deposit

Luvit

Ellicat and I headed to the Barwon Banks yesterday because the weather forecast was suppose to be good, so they said 2 days earlier. We met at 5am at the ramp locked and loaded we headed off. Just outside the entrance we put the boat through some different rev ranges to test the new propeller then headed for the banks. It was a slow trip and took us 2 hrs to get out there. Finally we got there and we saw some marks on the sounder. Feeling a little lucky I dropped over a 20gram micro jig on a very light set up expecting to be blown away. I wasn't blown away but first drop produced a small frigate tuna,  :) fresh bait. 

Unfortunately this is where Ellicat's day started and he kept the same position till the end.

Ralph himself.jpg

After filleting the tuna I put the frame on a rod and send it down minus the head. Shortly after a big fish was hooked peeling line off and I played it for a short time before it bit through the 80lb leader. Inspection of the leader indicates a shark of some sort.

The first fish to swim into the ice box was a pan size Squire of around 55cm which Ellicat lifted his head up for a second so I could get a quick snap. Ha,ha get it a "quick snap" a dad joke.

Pan size Squire.jpg

Then a variety of other fish, Red throat, Maori cod, Scorpion fish/cod, whiptail, some other fish I don't know what they were, similar to cross between a bream and a grunter? Picked up a few more frigate tuna and converted them to bait also.

It was nice to finally see a fish one of the fish I was hoping for, a nice 45cm Red throat Emporer come from the depths.

Red Throat.jpg

All in all we missed most of the rain, the wind got up to 15 knots and Ellicat gave his stomach muscles a workout, improving the already impressive six pack/ keg. We could see the rain as we got closer to Maloolaba and it came down hard as we retrieved the boat. After we retrieved the boat I noticed the electric bow mount was a peculiar angle and found it has broken with the hitting all the waves. Tied it on to boat and headed for home to look at it another day. Ellicat took the snapper home and I the Red throat.

Hats off to Ellicat for sticking it out and not complaining and saying he still enjoyed the day.:whistle: It was a good spread he put on with salad rolls, chocolate,iced coffee drinks, chips, lollies, nuts and others. I had twice as much as I needed and couldn't fit it all in :fishing2:.

I bet @ellicat still managed to run the burley out with a durry in his mouth.   Shame you didn't get more fish. I was on a charter last week where we got 8 legal fish all day divided among 8 fishos so maybe offshore is just a bit quiet at the moment.

Wayne, those breamy things were probably iodine bream, aka collared sea bream.  Pretty common on the Barwon Banks. Good fresh bait if you are bottom bouncing.

Welcome to Wayne's World, Luvit's Last Laugh, .... I thought of a few titles for this thread. :lol:

It WAS a good day except for the spewing. Strangely enough I felt alright, even after spewing, for about half the day. Eventually the energy supplies were depleted though and I had to hold on tight when moving around the centre console with jelly arms and legs.

I didn't get more than one touch on the Nuclear Chicken SP all day. Admittedly I left it in the rod holder mostly, allowing the waves and swell to take care of the action.  It seemed bait was the order of the day but my bait setup had a malfunction with the large runner on the way out due to the wife not washing my rods properly even though I told her nicely. (Just jokes). There was no way I could look down long enough to re-rig, :baby: so I was happy enough to play net man and managed to bring in two decent fish. :D

Wayne is a machine :worship:, running up to 3 rods at a time (making up for dud decky). Not something I see offshore all that often and amusing to watch when two are getting bites. :frantics::lol:. Looking forward to the day I can out-fish him.

Thanks for the decky spot, Wayne. I'm happy to be under your skippermanship anytime you want to put out the challenge. :lol:

If you had been up to it I would have been happy to rig a bait rod for you. Everytime we come back from fishing it a good day in my books.  

Still if I was as sick as you the last 2 times I would not be an offshore fisherman. You do well for an old boy. 

Your camera skills needs some work:P I had to crop half the photo to take your thumb out of it. ;)

We got 3 x RTE on Tuesday and we catch them every second trip, so you get a few. I'm taking an RDO tomorrow to do some prop testing and then ducking out for a few hours on some close in reefs off Maloolaba to see what we can catch. Introducing Danielle to some offshore fishing to see how she likes it. 

Next time i'm heading to the banks for the day I'll let you know.

Archived