Keeping Natives In A Tank

BradZ

Hey guys, please dont crucify me for not posting in the pets sub-forum but it hasn't had a post in nearly a year so I thought I'd get a faster response here.

I've just put a small redfin and slightly larger yellowbelly in a tank together and I'm just curious about a few things.

Firstly, they're in river water with an aerator for now. I want to clear up the water so I can see them, will Ph correcting drops be enough to keep them happy?

I'm getting a filter system asap and was also thinking about getting a recirculating pump to stir the water up for them, is this a good idea or not?

And lastly, what do i feed them and how often? I'm thinking worms and shrimp but is there any off the shelf food they'll like? I'd rather not have to go and catch their food constantly.

Cheers guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, I've gotten rid of the redfin and stuck with the yella. Still feeding him worms and mostly he'll take them straight out of my hand but when he wont, im worried they end up getting in the rocks in the bottom of the tank and he cant get them, and they also dirty the tank quickly.

I've kept on top of the cleanliness of the tank but im wondering what would be a better food for me to feed him? I've also noticed a few times that he lays right over until i give him a bit of a stir and he seems to wake up and be alright after that.

Why is this happening and what can i do to stop it? Thanks.

You can pickup pellet food from a Pond supplier usually (that's where I get mine in Brisbane). They come in different sizes so just choose a size that suits your yella's mouth. A little bit smaller. Google "Pond supplies fish food".

Don't worry about worms that get away. If the yella doesn't find them they 'clean out' and just live in the sand or rocks. They don't foul the water anymore after the initial flush.  I've had them live a year or more in the bottom of one tank. (They give you a bit of a fright when giving the tank a good clean haha)

When introducing a new fish or doing a water change I use a product called Stress Coat.

Playing around with the Ph of the water only really matters when you are looking to breed or bring out colours. I've been keeping mostly natives for about 45 years and they are pretty tough beasts. Just don't let them suffocate - keep their water in the tank turning over. White spot is the other affliction. You can rid this by slowly warming the water above 30 degrees and/or adding some salt.

Archived