A Short Video Of This Tuesdays Trip Out Wide

Luvit

With very late notice @timtam_ was able to join me on Tuesday for trip off Cape Moreton.

We stopped in to see if the kingfish would play the game and we both hooked up on small rats but couldn't find the bigger models anywhere. Tim's self released at the boat so no photo unfortunately.

IMG_4404-1.jpg

We then headed wide because the conditions were good and we were chasing warm water, in the hope we could find some Dolphin fish. We ended up 80km offshore enjoying the antics of a pod of dolphins feeding on bait. We trolled through the area but couldn't raise a strike. Then we decided to head in closer to see what was around and we spotted a bouy floating around and changed course to investigate. It turned out to be a good move and we cut the motor and drifted in towards it. Tim was up the front and could see a school of small Dollies and hooked up first cast and the dollie jumped a number of time before throwing the hook. I joined Tim up the front watching the lightning fast fish chasing the lures was exciting. I hooked a small model right at the boat and left it in the water so his mates hung around. While drifting and re-rigging another boat saw the bouy and came over towing a full spread and instantly hooked up to a good fish in the 8kg bracket. "not happy Jan" we moved back in for some more casts but we could not get a hit after they had trolled through. They boat their fish and started trolling again straight back over the bouy a few more passes and they hooked up again another nice fish of similar size.  

We gave trolling a go since the casting was not working. We did a pass by the bouy and we got 4-5 hits but none of the hooks stuck. the other boat and ourselves persevered for a while but no more hits or fish. I think all the boating traffic put them down which is why we wanted to cast at them rather than troll.

The guys came over to see us and said they were trolling skipping gars at 4-5 knots and gave us 2 so we could hopefully catch a good one. Very nice of them to do this and although we tried it, looked like the fish had moved on. The good thing about that is we learnt a new way to target them.:)

Besides a few small other fish off the reefs it was a pleasant day out.

I didn't know Tim was so camera shy and such a conversationalist, releasing everything at the side of the boat. No photos of Tim.:no: Should have taken one with the Grinners:ausflag:

IMG_4405-3.jpgIMG_4409.JPG

Now back to work to finish the day to enjoy the Christmas break.

Everyone stay safe.

Archived