Bull Shark For Dinner

The Mad Hughesy

Hey team

After reading the forecast for the weekend, I decided to shift my sights from jacks to sharks instead. Fished a spot on the Brisbane river (land based)3 hours before high tide with the hope of a shark each for dinner. We had 4 runs in an hour and managed to hook up two of them. Both around the 80-90cm mark. Gear that caught both was a Sedona 4000 with 20lb braid matched to a shimano Sahara 5-8kg rod, 50cm of 80lb mono leader and a halco 20inch 80lb wire trace on a 7/0 circle hook. And of course the bait of choice was fresh water eel! 

Dinner was delicious on the BBQ with some salt and fresh squeezed lemon

I also cuts the jaws out so once I've got them set and on my wall I might put up a little report on how I did it. 

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

Good thinking to look outside the box for a session on a crappy day, a fillet or 2 of young, Brissie river bullie goes well on the plate.:)

I notice the Bremer river has a minor flood warning on it this morning,(I haven`t been through the BOM observations or the river risers yet) so I guess the Bris and surrounding rivers may be the same and have a small fresh and flush, this may kick a little extra life in to the fishing scene for a while.

6 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Well done Chris, got what you targeted and a tasty meal. Do you ever throw a pot or two in while your fishing landbased?

im not a huge crabber mate, only ever used my pots once haha

having said that, I've lost a shark before on 6lb line to a crab pot ropes so if i was a crabber, i would not do it while sharking

• 1 month later...

I did my first set of jaws of a 1.2m bully with a filleting knife and after that I bought myself a scalpel ($3 off ebay with spare blades). The second jaw was from a small 80cm or so bully and I found it to be much easier using the scalpel. Sharp and easy to get into the tight spots.

20151206_183527.jpg

22 minutes ago, fifis101 said:

I did my first set of jaws of a 1.2m bully with a filleting knife and after that I bought myself a scalpel ($3 off ebay with spare blades). The second jaw was from a small 80cm or so bully and I found it to be much easier using the scalpel. Sharp and easy to get into the tight spots

Wow looks great. After you have boned it out how did you treat it?

15 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow looks great. After you have boned it out how did you treat it?

I set it on a backing board first, then found an ant line, left it with them for a day and it was a clean as a whistle! I then gave it a light sand and painted on a few coats of peroxide, letting it dry in between. The peroxide gives them a nice white finish.

25 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Thanks for the tip!

Is Peroxide the same a bleach?

Do you then paint them with a resin or something? 

No bleach is different to hydrogen peroxide.You can buy a small bottle from Woolies for a few $. Not sure if you can use bleach but I have a feeling bleach may cause it to go yellow. That could be completely wrong though.

No I haven't sealed them with a resin. They are a few years old now and haven't really changed. Possibly yellowed slightly but nothing a coat of peroxide wouldn't fix.

On 3/8/2017 at 2:16 PM, fifis101 said:

No I haven't sealed them with a resin. They are a few years old now and haven't really changed. Possibly yellowed slightly but nothing a coat of peroxide wouldn't fix.

Great thanks. I'm really keen to do this. Be great to have some Manly Harbour shark jaws :)

Archived