Thinking About Moving...

Hambone7707

Hi! My name is Mikey and I live in the US. I'm an avid fisherman and outdoorsman. I'm looking for a change of pace and I'm considering moving to Australia and creating a self-sustainable property. I've traveled the US and worked/lived on many farms and communes. My experience ranges from commercial hydro farming to self-sustained urban farming communites. I currently manage a fish market in Ohio. I know very little about the geography and demographics of Australia. I would love to chat with some locals and learn as much as I can. Such as fishing/hunting habitats and the laws associated, what areas are good for farming, weather climates, and property costs. I realize this kind of a broad subject but I really appreciate your time and consideration.

My cousin just bought an off the grid property in the Sunshine Coast hinterland (west of Cooroy).

Lovely country. Relaying on solar at the moment but fixing a wind turbine as well.

Massive topic you have opened. Each state of Australia and even locations within states can have different rules and regs for fishing and hunting. 

Massive options for all of the above though.

Look forward to seeing this conversation open up!

Angus

30 minutes ago, Hambone7707 said:

What kind of coastal fishing and game can I expect in the north east? Also, does anyone know any good outlets for purchasing land in Queensland?

Do you know specific area you want to move to? Australia id comparable to USA in size. If you dont know specific area its difficult to recommend a realestate agent.

East coast of Australia holds many options depending on where you move to however if you want game (pigs, deer etc you would be away from the coast a bit. If you want fishing (obviously) you will be nearer the coast.

Will you want to run cattle/sheep etc on your land? Do you have an idea of land size? Do you have a budget? What type of climate are you after (We have everything from South Florida to Delaware type of climate)?

Its like asking for a good car dealership when you havent explained what type of car you want. Dont get me wrong, happy to help but we need more info mate 

OK. Ideally I'd like to live somewhere with relatively consistent weather. Mild to no winter climates. I'm not looking for enough to start a large farm. I only need enough land to sustain about 5 people. I'd like to keep goats and chickens on the premise. Im still doing research on what crops I'd like to grow. Preferably with nearby hunting grounds and fishing. I do have experience working as a first mate on a charter boat and would like to someday own a boat to fish comercially or charter, so being near a coast would be great. Currently my budget is about $40,000. I have more funds I can commit to this project but it's not something I'm willing to do initially.The emphasis is on small. I can find work online and locally so I wouldn't be leaning on crop production for any income. However I'm not against the idea.

Look this is still just a shot in the dark but the general Kilcoy area is pretty nice.

An easy run to the saltwater. Freshwater fishing options available. Plenty of wild deer and native game for hunting.

An example: http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-land-rural-in-kilcoy%2c+qld+4515%3b/list-1
The further you move out from this location the cheaper potential property can be...

Climate wise... Look it can get hot in summer but that is Australia. Unless you move to Tasmania there is no avoiding at least a little heat in Summer. 

2 hours ago, Hambone7707 said:

OK. Ideally I'd like to live somewhere with relatively consistent weather. Mild to no winter climates. I'm not looking for enough to start a large farm. I only need enough land to sustain about 5 people. I'd like to keep goats and chickens on the premise. Im still doing research on what crops I'd like to grow. Preferably with nearby hunting grounds and fishing. I do have experience working as a first mate on a charter boat and would like to someday own a boat to fish comercially or charter, so being near a coast would be great. Currently my budget is about $40,000. I have more funds I can commit to this project but it's not something I'm willing to do initially.The emphasis is on small. I can find work online and locally so I wouldn't be leaning on crop production for any income. However I'm not against the idea.

Thanks Hambone that helps 

Unfortunately if you are looking at spending $40,000 on a block of land your options will be very limited. It will either be a crap piece of land or it will be miles from anywhere

The best website to start searching is realestate.com.au

Here is a start perhaps? I have searched all of QLD for land over 1 acre and less than $50,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-land-size-4000-between-0-50000-in-qld/list-1?source=location-search

With this being a pretty good prospect

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-qld-glenwood-201361482

To give you an idea, I recently purchased a 4 acre block in Agnes Water with no power, water etc for $130,000. Admittedly that is close to the water from a fishing perspective but no real game on the land. 

Yeah 40k US. This hypothetical move is at least a year away. So I would be able to work on my funds a bit. I'm not against purchasing a messy lot. I'd rather make a property sustainable and work the land into what I want rather then buy property already fit to farm. I don't need the full amenities treatment. I like to rough and working towards solar power and sorting out my own water is kind of the point.

Archived