Offshore Magic

tugger

Headed out with my son Brock and his mate Dylan through south passge bar sunday was a bit angry looking through where i normally go so i lwent further north along the bar and found i nice deep channel with no waves at all marked in my gps for future trips then continued on to boat rock. The conditions offshore were perfect with next to no wind we cruised out with ease to my spot and dropped the anchor then set baits out in time for the turn of the tide when the action happens.

Right on the turn of the tide we had our 1st strike on a floating pillie while i was rigging a bigger slimie mackerel bait,  the reel screamed as the fish raced off well hooked and Brock quickly jumped on to it and fought the fish well. We were using 25lb line on a little penn overhead reel and it was putting in a good fight on that gear, slowly it tired but still used its body sideways to prevent us from geting the better of it to quickly as spanish mackerel do we call it 'chanelling'. Brock brought it along side of the boat for the gaff shot swimming it perfectly in to position and i pinned him well just in the soft belly with a lift in to the boat i could tell he had some weight about it probably around 15kg.

20170305_072225.thumb.jpg.3dd3f99fd650f562f9a8974ac762f2cc.jpg

We kept setting floating baits but we had quite a few strikes after this that got snipped off and we weren't able to land another spanish mack but we kept bottom bashing the whole time landing a few moses perch and other smaller reffies. The current dropped off later and the fishing went quiet so we moved out deeper to another reef not far away and found some nice shows on the sounder so we floatlined there for a few big spangeled emperor and a big moari cod.

20170305_105440.thumb.jpg.496e8a01151e2cda82b400100651f0bb.jpg

Soon the current droped off here to and the fish stopped feeding as well so we headed home around 11am so we could get lunch before the young fellas got to hungry.  Just before the bar we saw some big bust ups so the boys flicked slugs at them while i drove the boat Brock got a small kingie and Dylan hooked a good size spottie that i saw come half out of the water for the lure it ran hard a few good runs before he lost it bugger. We headed off after a little while later through the bar which had settled down with the in coming tide and soon was home filleting fish and drinking ice cold beer, was a truely magic day on the water in such calm seas.

20170305_151301.thumb.jpg.77b2436945b4fdf9529a177d0cf06f6b.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, Old Scaley said:

Some good looking fish there, Mark. Jeez those boys grew up fast!

Yeah and the food bill blows out fast to Brock left me in the shade by 13 he towers over me now and can catch fish like the old man

21 hours ago, Luvit said:

These reports are getting me so excited after being off the water for 5 weeks. A nice mixed bag you guys put together. 

I wish Moses perch grew a lot bigger, such nice eating.

we have caught moses perch to 55cm long they are quite a big fish by then

20 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great spaniard there Mark and some nice fish to round out the box. Ummmm it appears Dylan may not have received your standard briefing on your boat rules ............. :whistle:

He was a good Spanish and I see what you mean by that plastic hanging out of the cod mouth imagine how much litter there is with all those fishos throws plastic around like that

On 3/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, tugger said:

The conditions offshore were perfect with next to no wind we cruised out with ease to my spot and dropped the anchor then set baits out in time for the turn of the tide when the action happens.

Nice day. Well done. Great trip and great report. Thanks.

I'm gonna get the right boat so I can do this trip. The 3.75 tinny isn't up for it.... soon I hope.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice day. Well done. Great trip and great report. Thanks.

I'm gonna get the right boat so I can do this trip. The 3.75 tinny isn't up for it.... soon I hope.

If you would like to jump in with me on my tinnie I could show you 1st hand a few of my tactics to fishing this area, we talked about it over at Blakesleys going for a run let me know if your still keen

23 hours ago, tugger said:

If you would like to jump in with me on my tinnie I could show you 1st hand a few of my tactics to fishing this area, we talked about it over at Blakesleys going for a run let me know if your still keen

Yes mate super keen. Just need to make it fit in with work. 

Archived