Easter Fishing

Luvit

The weather looks good for Easter. I'll be taking the kids out late Saturday afternoon and cooking dinner up on the boat. We'll moor off Moreton for the night and fish Easter Sunday. What better way to spend it? 

If the weather is good on Tuesday, there is a small chance I'll head out again. Make the call as it get closer. 

What is everyone else doing over Easter? 

2 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I always release the little ones ......... ;)  (now if I could just work out where all the big ones are hiding ....... perhaps you could PM me ALL of your GPS marks Wayne .......... :whistle:).

All the big ones will be on holidays as well, as a week day fisher im always told how lucky i am and that the fish bite different on the weekends, guessing holidays are the same

1 minute ago, josha293 said:

All the big ones will be on holidays as well, as a week day fisher im always told how lucky i am and that the fish bite different on the weekends, guessing holidays are the same

Yeah I reckon all the bay fish will have headaches by Monday due to all the boats roaring around the place ....

6 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I always release the little ones ......... ;)  (now if I could just work out where all the big ones are hiding ....... perhaps you could PM me ALL of your GPS marks Wayne .......... :whistle:).

My marks are no good for you Kelvin as I'd have to kill you at the end of the day. :frantics::D

Well you can have them all if you like. I have none because the last sounder/gps stopped working so have no gps marks. Doesn't bother me really. I can get some off the web to get me started but 5 years ago I had no gps marks. So I'll do the same and find new grounds. 

The up side of this is that I upgraded the old HDS12 Gen 2 to a Gen 3. The old one had taken a lot of shaking in the smaller boat so not surprised it had a rattling in it. 

Yet to to see if I put the transducer in the correct position. 

1 minute ago, Luvit said:

Well you can have them all if you like. I have none because the last sounder/gps stopped working so have no marks. Doesn't bother me really. I can get some off the web to get me started but 5 years ago I had no god marks. So I'll do the same and find new grounds. 

The up side of this is that I upgraded the old HDS12 Gen 2 to a Gen 3. The old one had taken a lot of shaking in the smaller boat so not surprised it had a rattling in it. 

Yet to to see if I put the transducer in the correct position. 

Geez Wayne that is unfortunate.

Back them up to a SD card mate and do it once a month at least to update the card.

Once done, extract the files on your computer and email the file to yourself so you have access to a copy where ever you go and upload the file to your phone/tablet as well.

4 minutes ago, josha293 said:

Yes I think you're right there. Hence is why we will stay over night when things quite down and be fishing at first light Sunday while everyone's scoffing chocolate. 

1 minute ago, aussie123 said:

Geez Wayne that is unfortunate.

Back them up to a SD card mate and do it once a month at least to update the card.

Once done, extract the files on your computer and email the file to yourself so you have access to a copy where ever you go and upload the file to your phone/tablet as well.

Might do that this time. 

5 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yeah I reckon all the bay fish will have headaches by Monday due to all the boats roaring around the place ....

Your not wrong mate. I fish week days while everyone is at work, thats probly the only reason i catch decent fish haha

4 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Yes I think you're right there. Hence is why we will stay over night when things quite down and be fishing at first light Sunday while everyone's scoffing chocolate. 

Hopefully everyone else doesn't have the same idea. Had a mate plan to go out off caloundra aussie day while the weather was mint, he leaved his house before sun up to get a spot at the ramp, as it turn out everyone else had the same idea and here he was still stuck in the que

Just now, josha293 said:

Hopefully everyone else doesn't have the same idea. Had a mate plan to go out off caloundra aussie day while the weather was mint, he leaved his house before sun up to get a spot at the ramp, as it turn out everyone else had the same idea and here he was still stuck in the que

Yes, that is what I thought might happen. 

I went out the day before Australia Day fished all day. Slept on the boat fished in the morning till the family called and then picked them up at the ramp. Had my parking spot and no problems and catch fish. Was a great. 

Not everyone has the opportunity to plan around the busy times but I try to as much as possible. 

19 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

My marks are no good for you Kelvin as I'd have to kill you at the end of the day. :frantics::D

Would be fun while it lasted though Lance and I'd die doing what I love ...... yeah, flick'em to me :devil:  We both know with my lack of ability there'd be plenty of them left for you next time ..... :no: 

Hey possibly a silly question but can you get all the way through the Rous Channel (easily ...) to SPB on a low tide (0.67m)?

Not a problem getting through there Kelvin.

Just be very careful of the sand banks and follow the channel markers precisely and you will be fine.

Normally the lower tides make the sand banks easier to see but I am not sure how dirty the water is through there atm but if it is dirty, it may be harder to see the banks unless there is a bit of chop on the water.

I hate the Rous, you drive for ages and end up just about where you came from,lol

14 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Yes, that is what I thought might happen. 

I went out the day before Australia Day fished all day. Slept on the boat fished in the morning till the family called and then picked them up at the ramp. Had my parking spot and no problems and catch fish. Was a great. 

Not everyone has the opportunity to plan around the busy times but I try to as much as possible. 

Gee mate some people have it easy hahahha. I went out the day before aussie day and bagged out on spotties then spen aussie day with the other halfs family as it her dads bday aswell. Cant complain there i guess

4 minutes ago, Luvit said:

That's what my wife says. 

Might still be some spotties around but harder to find after the rain. 

I'll keep you in mind for mid week trips when I accrue some more RDO's. 

After this rain all the bait in the bay may have pushed out and all the other fish would have followed, (well thats my theory anyway) im not even goingto bother with macks now. Just going to focus on snapper and jewies

I'm off to Hastings Point for a week from Saturday on a little family holiday.

Will be only 100m from water so will have a few sessions and hope to dust off some gear that hasn't been used in a while. Will chase whiting, bream and flatties on topwater in the creeks and try a few sessions off the rocks at sunrise hoping for my first jewie off the rocks and some consolation tailor if they're around.

Will see how much the wife will let me do :D too bad my kid isn't old enough to fish yet...

Not going offshore now (grrrrrrrrr .........). Went to Broncos with my brother and our kids tonight and he's knackered - busy couple of days and he has to drive to Rocky and back on Sunday so we'll take the kids out in the bay a bit later instead (if we can park the trailer .........). So @demarc I won't have a bar report unfortunately (well, unless we still go check out the Rous).

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Not going offshore now (grrrrrrrrr .........). Went to Broncos with my brother and our kids tonight and he's knackered - busy couple of days and he has to drive to Rocky and back on Sunday so we'll take the kids out in the bay a bit later instead (if we can park the trailer .........). So @demarc I won't have a bar report unfortunately (well, unless we still go check out the Rous).

All good kelvin. How was the game? 

Very entertaining and Broncos were very lucky to win. Titans played alot better than I was expecting. Each team scored a top notch try. Was my son Liam's first Broncos match so after months of building up to it he was ready to explode .... he had our section of the crowd cheering 'let's go Broncos, let's go' with him ..... chip off the old block :)   Good luck Monday mate - bummed we're not offshore right now, particularly after all the preparation was done. Might have to get it out soonish.

As planned I took Luke and James out late Saturday afternoon and got a park spot no problems. Headed straight for Moreton Island and luckily as we arrived we could see some tuna feeding. Luke put his cast where it need to be and boated a small but energetic Mac tuna just before dark.

IMG_4555.thumb.JPG.f9f2d7c78012c1dc05c9690321427dbf.JPG

IMG_4556.thumb.JPG.f6170ce17a46cedb0add9a3b100bbd25.JPG

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.088846a94c811a4627c17c22e63d7717.jpg

We cooked up some bacon & eggs on the new Coleman duel fuel stove, happy to say it worked a treat even in the 10-15knt wind. We had a few tunes playing while we finished dinner off with some custard and a block of chocolate to celebrate Easter. It was time for the card game "UNO" before the boys went to bed and I thought I'd turn the mac into something edible.

I have some adjustment to make on the new HDS Gen 3 transducer position because I lost bottom sometimes, but it reads nicely.  

IMG_3271.thumb.JPG.dd5b6e18bc95dd0c95bf4c67f1827f7b.JPG

I caught 3 x 45cm squire and kept one to eat. 

The next morning while the kids slept, I tried locating some of my old spots. It took a fair bit of scanning but located a couple.

Caught a small amber jack and a cod and then some trolling to a new area, no hits.

Boys weren't feeling well so we headed back inside the bay and could only fin small tuna. Went in search of the long tails but could not find any and headed home.

Great way to spend Easter.

Archived