Brisbane River Barra

Angus

FB_IMG_1494879312882.jpg

Well this has been doing the social media rounds...

Lachlan caught this nice barra in the Brisbane River over the weekend (picture courtesy of the Tackle World Lawnton but it is posted all over the place.

This is the second barra I have seen confirmed from the river with another meter plus fish being caught by ex member Kevin Chen years ago.

Along with this I have seen pictures of one from the Bribie Passage, 2 from the Coomera (funnily enough by the same angler Rod) and the Sporties team get them semi regularly in the back of the canals at the Gold Coast.

The Noosa River has seen them from a myth to a completely viable target species with the guys I know who are in the know regularly catching them and multiple fish per session are common.

So... with the Noosa the way it is how long do you think (If ever) until we see them regularly in the Brisbane and sorrounds? A lot of people target the river amd fish deep for jew and threaddies... I wonder how often anyone goes parallel to the bank for the km's on offer throwing bigger lures at structure... 

Anyone got any other barra stories to share?

Angus

56 minutes ago, josha293 said:

This is a barra i caught at the start of last year. He was pulled from a snag at coochin creek. Anyone who fishes that river enought would be able to pin point the spot. Was a very welcome bycatch chasing jacks and happily released

20160210_114252.jpg

Very nice mate what a cool little fish!

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Some will remember his one from 2 years ago. Casting for mullet in the Pine river and the massive thumps turned out to be a 70cm Barra. Released after photo.

591a38d0d7e51_BarraPineJune14.jpg.6a356a69b4e814e20f95eb534038d209.jpg

I had actually forgotten this one! 

46 minutes ago, Junky said:

This one is impressive.

Steve could catch fish in a puddle of water. 

Wow! This goes to show... I wonder if there are more to be had just the way we fish it... I have always thought this would be worth a go for jacks...

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Wow! This goes to show... I wonder if there are more to be had just the way we fish it... I have always thought this would be worth a go for jacks...

Definitely more to be had mate. 

Fishing is a secrete society so info is not readily available, although the Internet is changing that.

Some of the fish I've seen and the tales I was told when i was in the industry well over 15yrs ago is unbelievable, but true.

People were laughed at but they just shrugged and smiled. Years later, here we are. 

These fish may well have started as pets that people have released, who knows but they have adapted and are breeding.  

This was our best Noosa River results... Not Brisbane i know but solid for SE QLD.

Over 2 weekends we collectively bagged 13.

No big fish but at the time this excited us just as much as maybe proof/evidence of a breeding population. All caught in very skinny water in places like Kin Kin...

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

39 minutes ago, Angus said:

This was our best Noosa River results... Not Brisbane i know but solid for SE QLD.

Over 2 weekends we collectively bagged 13.

No big fish but at the time this excited us just as much as maybe proof/evidence of a breeding population. All caught in very skinny water in places like Kin Kin...

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

They're awesome fish. 

Man ya's did well that weekend. 

9 hours ago, Angus said:

So... with the Noosa the way it is how long do you think (If ever) until we see them regularly in the Brisbane and sorrounds?

it`s a 2 edged wish, if they did build up to the extent threadys did, the pros would cut the numbers down quickly as they have done with the threadys

10 minutes ago, Gad said:

it`s a 2 edged wish, if they did build up to the extent threadys did, the pros would cut the numbers down quickly as they have done with the threadys

Will the pros be netting/fishing the river for a while since spill? I heard not...

5 hours ago, Angus said:

Will the pros be netting/fishing the river for a while since spill? I heard not...

Hi Angus, maybe I misunderstood  your pondering, I was intimating towards the possiblity of barra in years to come creating a largish population presence in the Brisbane River and surrounds as did the threadys.

On 16/05/2017 at 3:56 PM, Angus said:

Had a day off planned for today so I could meet a tradie at my mother's place. He rang and cancelled early this morning so I decided not to waste a day off in the middle of the week in perfect weather. Left the port ramp at about 9.30 and counted 9 little beam trawlers working between the tug station and the end of the port. So, either someone said it was ok to fish there again, or someone tipped them off about the explosion of Barra in the river :whistle:  Don't think I have seen so many working the same area before. I was pretty surprised.

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

......Left the port ramp at about 9.30 and counted 9 little beam trawlers working between the tug station and the end of the port. So, either someone said it was ok to fish there again, or someone tipped them off about the explosion of Barra in the river :whistle:  Don't think I have seen so many working the same area before. I was pretty surprised.

have not seen any notices of any part of the Brisbane River given the all clear for the beam trawlers, maybe they think they`re Best & Less and are doing mix and match sales :whistle:

Taken from DAF CatchNews 28 April

Fisheries Queensland has issued a permit to allow T5 beam trawl fishery operators to temporarily fish an extended area in MoretonBay following a chemical spill at BrisbaneAirport.

Restrictions have been relaxed to allow 35 licence holders to fish in an extended fishing area west of a line from Skirmish Point on BribieIsland to the Coffee Pots at the mouth of the BrisbaneRiver.

The extended fishing area came into effect from 1 am on 19 April 2017 and will continue until 30 June 2017.

https://www.vision6.com.au/em/message/email/view?a=10433&id=1146213&k=SRDUAI6fDCoDaivyJcfDZH0ZxnwcJxRZk2LItgZ04Vc

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Angus said:

Two of my Noosa mates Justin and Tim smashing some Noosa River barra over the weekend in the rain. Crazy. Justin's was 110cm...1.jpg2.jpg

Wow they are monsters, gee those guys know how to fish.

I hooked one up in early February and realised on the second arial jump what I had only for it to spit the hooks.

Love the Noosa !

Archived