Winter Abalone Dive - Video

VandiemanFishing

Its sitting around 12.5 degrees which is quite warm for this time of the year. Outside temperature was about 14 degrees. So an excellent day for this time of the year. In terms of eating them it really depends on how you cook them. Some people like to bash them to loosen the whole muscle. Although we just thinly slice it, its got a distinctive flavour but would be close related to slightly overcooked squid. Thats related to blacklip abalone, green lip is meant to be better. In japan greenlip fetches more dollar.

Cheers Blake

On 8/21/2017 at 9:45 PM, ellicat said:

What does abalone taste like and what sort of texture do they have ?

Mate they are so similar to Tiger Squid i find it hard to differentiate. I love them and tigers too. They are thicker through than tigers. 

It's nearly enough to move to Vic/tas/sa/southwa.... nearly :)

On 8/21/2017 at 7:52 PM, VandiemanFishing said:

Got a feed of abalone on the weekend

Yeah you did! Nice vid and hope you had a great feed! 

Thanks for sharing. Its great to see you using the right tools and measuring them. They will be there forever thanks to peeps like you.

Keep up the good work.

I'd be happy to do a catch "n" cook the next time i head out. I was going to do one on next weeks video although ending up forgetting to film the process.

The way I like to cook them is simply, after cleaning, slice the abalone in to thin pieces as thin as possible. Throw them in a fry pan with a bit of Butter and minced garlic. Similar to squid, abs only need 3-4 minutes. Overcooking  completely ruins them and makes them go tough and chewy.

Everyone one has a personal preference on how they cook them, some cook them as a steak. This method requires you to "bash" the abalone. Another one i've heard of people doing is putting them through a meat mincer and making patties out of them, incorporating some other fish into the mixture. Both these Methods are a bit strenuous, especially if your cooking for a group. 

Archived