Self Propelled Mowers

rayke1938

After some advice re self propelled mowers I am having difficulty mowing the grass finding the current mower too heavy to push uphill and thinking of getting a self propelled mower. I have tried a toro personal pace 21 inch one and the automatic drive does not work uphill unless i walk fast so i have to look at others.Anyonehave any experience/advice re the chinese imports that sell for between $300 to $400.

Or anyone have one for sale?budget to $400

My other option is just to pay someone to mow but that will cut into my fishing budget.:baby:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Honda Buffalo two speed, and works brilliantly. The low gear is painfully slow, so always run it in 2nd, but it has a a heaps of torque. My joint is on a incline, so am up and down when mowing and have never had a problem. In fact, if I hit any area that has been wet on the way up, the back wheels actually spin and the mower will crab walk.

If I was to fault it, I'd say the self-propelled mowers are very heavy; and without the propulsion, they are a huge amount of work to push around. In tight corners they are actually quite cumbersome. Plus I'd hate to have to lift it into a ute tray.

I ended up with a ryobi 18 inch one from Bunnings  it was only $1 dearer than a 23 inch Chinese one that they also had. The ryobi has a 2 year replacement warranty against the 1 year for the chinese one plus the dubious availability of spare parts for the chinese one.

The ryobi is quite light and going downhill i just push it and used the self propulsion for the uphill work as i find it is too fast using self propulsion down hill.

Cheers

Ray

Archived