Annoying Boat Beep - Please Help!

The Mad Hughesy

Hey team,

for the past few trips, my boat makes this incredibly annoying beeping noise when motoring along. When just sitting at idle, no noise. But when we start moving along it starts up. To me, it sounds like a warning sound caused by the engine. But if that was the case, it should make the noise at idle.

Any trouble shooting or ideas would be much appreciated!!!

What sort of engine? Generally, if the noise is rythmic(specific number of beeps) then it should match a fault code on the motor. To find this you'll have to look up the manufacturers code list. Serious alarms will usually restrict the motor into limp mode(reduced revolutions), so if it doesn't do this, then I wouldn't say it is serious. Definitely annoying though

its a 75hp Merc 2 stroke (2004 I believe)

the sound has no rhythm or consistency except for the rougher the ride, the more it tends to go off. The engine itself performs really well. clocked my top speed on the weekend actually at 42km/h

should also note that it only recently had a full service and has plenty of fuel and oil. 

16 minutes ago, christophagus said:

reading on other forums, it seems to be a known issue to older mercs.

something to do with the float in the oil tank not working properly which causes the alarm to go off intermittently...which makes sense that it gets worse in rough conditions but is fine at idle.

Anyone else had this issue on their mercury outboard? 

When I read above that it was a two-stroke, I thought instantly that it would be the oil level sensor. I have heard of many people just getting rid of their oil injection systems due to issues like this, and just pre-mixing. I wouldn't recommend this, but I'm sure you could easily disable the speaker on the alarm if it annoys you.

nice tune. Must drive you bonkers. 

Sorry I'm no help.

My Suzi has a beep at the moment too. I am getting rid of the beep tomorrow with its first service. 

My old merc in the 35 2 stroke yellow boat... (good ridens)... had a beep. I fixed it with a screwdriver and a hammer. Worked a treat. 

Was it there before the service?

If not take it back to whoever serviced it.

Mike at Cooparoo Marine is a Merc expert and will not rip you off.

I would be very reluctant to disable any alarm.Whilst this may be only a minor issue if a major issue evolved you would not know about it.

Cheers

Ray

3 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

I would be very reluctant to disable any alarm.Whilst this may be only a minor issue if a major issue evolved you would not know about it.

+1 for that.

Do you have plenty of water coming from the tell-tale ?

It's probably the oil thing. Do not ignore it. I had a Merc with the oil injection. The system failed and my motor went 'POP'...no more Merc - that's how I ended up with the infamous Force. (Now a strong believer in pre-mix).

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

+1 for that.

Do you have plenty of water coming from the tell-tale ?

It's probably the oil thing. Do not ignore it. I had a Merc with the oil injection. The system failed and my motor went 'POP'...no more Merc - that's how I ended up with the infamous Force. (Now a strong believer in pre-mix).

Yep, plenty of water coming out

14 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Yep fair call... until you spend a few hours with it screaming in your ear and go a little crazy!!!!  

@Anguswould remember the sound. haha. Mine was a **** boat 80s model pre mix 35hp Merc... be kind to your engines people... :)

Archived