Up The Creek With A Paddle

Angus

Another fun and much better than expected session up a small Northern NSW creek today. The goal was actually some crabs. I am slowly tweaking the best way to paddle pots up skinny water.

20180216_141328.jpg

Some else had visited the spot before me this morning but as he was of the eucalypt eating variety I was not to phased.

20180216_135924.jpg

Although crabs were the goal of course a rod came. I had zero expectations as it was about 1pm in the afternoon and I am pretty committed to surface at the moment. So much literature suggests this is a terrible time to fish surface and it was bright and sunny to boot.

Well my initial pessimism was wiped when on my 3rd cast, casting into some ripply flowing water caused by the outgoing bang, a nice chunky 32cm bream took my lure.

20180216_142045.jpg

This became the theme with each little eddy and rapid producing hits or a fish. It was a cracking session and easily my most productive from this creek despite the time. This makes me think ill work on tide logic for a while.

20180216_141957.jpg20180216_152218.jpg20180216_142808.jpg20180216_142824.jpg20180216_152157.jpg

As if the session was not good enough it was ended with a nice kicker. Casting a likely looking snag the water erupted after only 2 twitches. A drag screaming heart in mouth fight finally resulted in a solid 44cm nugget of a wild bass. Such awesome colours on this fish.

20180216_152729.jpg

Lure of the day was a berkley scum dog. Not an expensive lure at all but I have caught a lit of fish the last 2 weeks on this exact one.

Other gear:

Nordic stage areal sharpshooter

Shimano stella 1000 6lb siglon braid and 6lb leader. 

Cheers for reading.

Angus

P.s. ill be heading back to check pots later and will report :)

Is the 1000 your go to reel for the kayak fishing you've been doing? I've been thinking of getting a sienna 1000 and just the cheapest two piece 1-3kg rod I can find for leaving in the work truck so we can fish on lunch breaks. I don't expect us to be catching anything major so the 1000 should be ample, does it cover most bases for you?

3 hours ago, Milpool said:

Is the 1000 your go to reel for the kayak fishing you've been doing? I've been thinking of getting a sienna 1000 and just the cheapest two piece 1-3kg rod I can find for leaving in the work truck so we can fish on lunch breaks. I don't expect us to be catching anything major so the 1000 should be ample, does it cover most bases for you?

1000 is small but really nice to hold/carry/cast. It has a very small line capacity and not much drag pressure. They are great for bream whiting flathead small trevally etc. You might be out gunned on big flathead and good taylor but it will do most things.

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

1000 is small but really nice to hold/carry/cast. It has a very small line capacity and not much drag pressure. They are great for bream whiting flathead small trevally etc. You might be out gunned on big flathead and good taylor but it will do most things.

Sounds perfect for a lazy lunchtime flick really. Thanks Drop Bear

21 hours ago, Milpool said:

I love my 1000 but that bass put it to the test well and truly. Still landed it though so happy :)

At the end of the day it holds more than enough like (I have 150 yards of 6lb on it and that is with heaps of backing).

I have caught decent trevs, tailor and other fish from the jacks and plenty of creek fish.

If I get a 40cm'ish jack on though I will know I am alive.

Angus

On 20/02/2018 at 12:30 PM, Little Grey Men said:

I bet that bass made you pay attention Angus ! Nice one mate.

Mate not to be vain but it was the one time in the session I was not solo. It was such a cracking fish tipping a little over 44cm, awesome colours and fat. I wish I had a better photo. DId not want to take a selfie as could not easily support the fish like the bream.

Archived