Spanish Mackerel Is Top Bait

tugger

Went fishing with Lance on Thursday the weather was great so the trip out was awesome no waves on the bar at all and offshore was just as good as the bay. We jigged up a tank full of little yakkas along with 1 slimie and 1 whiptail then off to our final destination where we anchored up.

We floated out the slimie mackerel 1st then sent down a little yakka to the bottom and pilchards as well. The bottom bite was very slow but soon enough the surface live bait got hit and the dragged screamed on the reel.

We had hooked a reel speedster as the 1st run was blistering the fish then settled in to a doggered fight with the current roaring it used this to its advantage. With a few more serious runs the reel had a fair bit of line out so i got in to it when ever i could to get some line back on the reel.

With the fish getting closer i saw colour for the first time and could see a big silver side deep down and called it a spanish. Lance sunk the gaff in and we had him on the deck finally so a few pictures then in to the ice slurry for him.

20180301_074703.thumb.jpg.a36c6e43ce421b81575b2a01488a5185.jpg

Resetting the live bait rig with the whiptail next and back out under a float before we settled back to bottom bashing. The whiptail got hit soon again and Lance took his turn with another bigger spanaird but half way through the fight he was sharked with the shark eating the body and head of the spanish. There was only the gill and pectorial fin area left with the hook stiil in it we salvaged what was left for bait.

Turns out spanish mackerel is good bait as the snapper and moses perch went nuts on it for the next hour and a half. 1 moses went 50cm and thick through the body it looked impressive then the bite slowed so we called a day. The run home was good then back at home we took a few pictures of the mixed catch then we knocked back a few coldies while we filleted our days effort. 

Was a great day on the water here is the final tally

20180301_141400.thumb.jpg.f34ade1e1710ce44bab8713189a43cf8.jpg

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice one Mark, always good to see a Spanish boated and yep, that's one very solid moses, yum!!  Bl00dy sharks eh, grrrrr.

That's right Kelvin should have been 2 good Spanish if not for 1 big hungry shark we also got a good size stripey I thought I was back in nth qld catching him it must be the global warming

On 03/03/2018 at 4:58 PM, aussie123 said:

Thanks Mark for another top day out.

I had a feed of Mackeral and Prawns a couple of nights ago and it was amazing.

Those prawns are back on at Lamb too, guys today were getting their buckets in 3-4 casts once they bobbed after the change.

Do you think they will still be on in a few days, @aussie123?  Wind looks like cr#p on Wednesday but I was thinking about a prawning expedition if it improves before then.

On 3/3/2018 at 4:58 PM, aussie123 said:

Thanks Mark for another top day out.

I had a feed of Mackeral and Prawns a couple of nights ago and it was amazing.

Those prawns are back on at Lamb too, guys today were getting their buckets in 3-4 casts once they bobbed after the change.

Next week I will go there again. This time with bacon and eggs for a Karragarra Kookup. :)

Who is coming??? @Old Scaley

Go get 'em fellas!!  Do you guys know what weight your nets are? I want to weigh the three I picked up second hand so I know how heavy they are. If they are at the lighter end of the scale I was wondering whether having a go at attaching lead or barrel sinkers along the bottom of the net to increase the weight would be worth trying? It would obviously need to be evenly spread and also attached neatly so that it didn't catch the net. Has anyone done this and/or do you think it would be worth trying?

On 3/2/2018 at 11:11 PM, tugger said:

Turns out spanish mackerel is good bait as the snapper and moses perch went nuts on it for the next hour and a half.

:lol: As my relatives in Ingham would say, "If it ain't red, its bait!"

20 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Go get 'em fellas!!  Do you guys know what weight your nets are? I want to weigh the three I picked up second hand so I know how heavy they are. If they are at the lighter end of the scale I was wondering whether having a go at attaching lead or barrel sinkers along the bottom of the net to increase the weight would be worth trying? It would obviously need to be evenly spread and also attached neatly so that it didn't catch the net. Has anyone done this and/or do you think it would be worth trying?

Hi Kelvin. The 12’ top pocket net I bought recently weighs 8.1kg. For a Mr Puniverse like me it feels like 81kg after a few casts. :D

Yeah I was reading in Bush n Beach they generally range from about 6kg - 8.5kg, so be interesting to see what mine are. If they're closer to 6kg, I think I'll try adding extra weights and if it doesn't work, can just take them off again. I've got three nets, so if it does work I could have one for deeper water and one for shallower, and a third to keep at home for when one of the others is out of action :) 

My brother Michael and I are keen to get out and do this over the Easter holidays (but for me, hopefully sooner if possible).

Archived