Yellowbelly Fishing

Benjamin gorge mchuges

This weekend i am going on a yellowbelly and saratoga trip further west to a small town i used to live in called Emerald,  in emerald they have stained water so im looking for a few lure such as hardbodies, soft plastics, spinnerbaits etc they might catch me some fish. Any help would be appreciated a lot, and any tips you can give me about yellowbelly and saratoga would be very helpfully to me such as leader, lures, line, fish handling etc. All the best in fishing.

-Ben

Hey Ben I've never fished for them, but I've been told by more adventurous mates chasing them up in the fresh in the western Cape York/ Gulf Rivers, they do good on smallish plastics (i.e: 3 inch grubs, paddletails etc). Everybody seems to like the topwater lure thing though. 

Are you going to be chasing wild fish? Didn't realise they got that far south, or are they stocked there? 

12 hours ago, tiotony said:

Hey Ben I've never fished for them, but I've been told by more adventurous mates chasing them up in the fresh in the western Cape York/ Gulf Rivers, they do good on smallish plastics (i.e: 3 inch grubs, paddletails etc). Everybody seems to like the topwater lure thing though. 

Are you going to be chasing wild fish? Didn't realise they got that far south, or are they stocked there? 

Now you got me thinking. So many fish go under so many different names. I wonder if this is one of those "2 fish one name" thing?

I'd love to find out more about these ones @tiotony.

Wasn't it Shakespeare that said;

O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a Yellowbelly by any other word would taste as muddy; :whistle:

The Yellowbellies AKA Golden Perch (Macquaria ambigua) that I normally think of are mostly a Murray Darling thing. They come from a few other places and have been introduced into many other areas now.

I was lucky enough to catch a few at North Pine Dam with @rayke1938.

If you catch them up in Emerald and Lake Maraboon or in the Dawson River they call them White Perch (or at least they used to).

If you catch them in some place down south they are known as Callop.

Event the scientists get confused from time to time. Yellowbelly used to be called  (Plectroplites ambiguus) and (Datnia ambigua). I am not a scientist and I don't really know how this all works, and happy to be corrected, but found it interesting to read. 

"The naturalist Richardson actually named golden perch Datnia ambigua and applied the specific name ambigua (Latin for "doubtful") to the species because, as he states in his species description, he could not decide in which of two genera to place it, Dules (now Kuhlia species) or Datnia (now various Terapontidaespecies):"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_perch

My 2002 copy of Grants Guide to Fishes has them as Plectroplites ambiguus

So now @tiotony I am excited to find out what the Yellowbellly you and your friends chase up north. Could be something for me to put in the bucket list.

oh... I hope I didn't derail a fishing rod thread... sorry if I have... 

10lb- 15lb main line and 15lb leader would be fairly safe to explore with, if it's really snaggy use 20lb leader.

Spinnerbaits would be a good start, if your budget allows, get a light one (1/4 ounce ) for working close to structure and surface, and a heavier one (1/2 ounce )  for casting out deeper and dragging along the bottom.

3-4 inch curly tail grubs  hooked  onto a jig spinner. Yellas and saratoga will happily chase a jig spinner ( beetlespin  ) For the yellas swim it very close to the bottom and for toga throw it around structure and swim closer to the surface. You attach the jig spinner onto the jig head and a good allround size jighead would be 1/4 ounce.

The jig spinner is simply a spinnerbait in very basic form. The flash of the spining blade and the vibration thrown out attract the fish, for the price of one spinnerbait you could set up about three jig spinners which work just as well, they would have to be my favourite lure for the fresh.

A hard body lure that dives to around 3m should do the job. 

A size 2 Stump Jumper ( 75mm ) is a good priced lure that performs well. Swim it nice and slow, if you feel it bump into a snag,,,STOP and let it rise up over the snag then keep winding slowly. If the water is dirty choose a bright colour....a favourite is anything with bright green in it.

Another good cheap lure is the  50mm RMG Poltergiest, it dives to 3m and has a great action. I've had good success on the Oz Frog colour. They have a great range of colours, the metallic orange gold is also very popular.

These are all cheap options which is imortant when you're scoping out new water. You don't want to be tossing a $20 lure into snaggy areas.

Leave that up to silly people like me !

Have fun mate.

full_534.jpg

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Now you got me thinking. So many fish go under so many different names. I wonder if this is one of those "2 fish one name" thing?

I'd love to find out more about these ones @tiotony.

Wasn't it Shakespeare that said;

O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a Yellowbelly by any other word would taste as muddy; :whistle:

The Yellowbellies AKA Golden Perch (Macquaria ambigua) that I normally think of are mostly a Murray Darling thing. They come from a few other places and have been introduced into many other areas now.

I was lucky enough to catch a few at North Pine Dam with @rayke1938.

If you catch them up in Emerald and Lake Maraboon or in the Dawson River they call them White Perch (or at least they used to).

If you catch them in some place down south they are known as Callop.

Event the scientists get confused from time to time. Yellowbelly used to be called  (Plectroplites ambiguus) and (Datnia ambigua). I am not a scientist and I don't really know how this all works, and happy to be corrected, but found it interesting to read. 

"The naturalist Richardson actually named golden perch Datnia ambigua and applied the specific name ambigua (Latin for "doubtful") to the species because, as he states in his species description, he could not decide in which of two genera to place it, Dules (now Kuhlia species) or Datnia (now various Terapontidaespecies):"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_perch

My 2002 copy of Grants Guide to Fishes has them as Plectroplites ambiguus

So now @tiotony I am excited to find out what the Yellowbellly you and your friends chase up north. Could be something for me to put in the bucket list.

oh... I hope I didn't derail a fishing rod thread... sorry if I have... 

Hi Drop Bear, I was actually referring to the original post's mention of Saratoga, there's certainly no yellowbelly in northern Australia. 

4 hours ago, Little Grey Men said:

10lb- 15lb main line and 15lb leader would be fairly safe to explore with, if it's really snaggy use 20lb leader.

Spinnerbaits would be a good start, if your budget allows, get a light one (1/4 ounce ) for working close to structure and surface, and a heavier one (1/2 ounce )  for casting out deeper and dragging along the bottom.

3-4 inch curly tail grubs  hooked  onto a jig spinner. Yellas and saratoga will happily chase a jig spinner ( beetlespin  ) For the yellas swim it very close to the bottom and for toga throw it around structure and swim closer to the surface. You attach the jig spinner onto the jig head and a good allround size jighead would be 1/4 ounce.

The jig spinner is simply a spinnerbait in very basic form. The flash of the spining blade and the vibration thrown out attract the fish, for the price of one spinnerbait you could set up about three jig spinners which work just as well, they would have to be my favourite lure for the fresh.

A hard body lure that dives to around 3m should do the job. 

A size 2 Stump Jumper ( 75mm ) is a good priced lure that performs well. Swim it nice and slow, if you feel it bump into a snag,,,STOP and let it rise up over the snag then keep winding slowly. If the water is dirty choose a bright colour....a favourite is anything with bright green in it.

Another good cheap lure is the  50mm RMG Poltergiest, it dives to 3m and has a great action. I've had good success on the Oz Frog colour. They have a great range of colours, the metallic orange gold is also very popular.

These are all cheap options which is imortant when you're scoping out new water. You don't want to be tossing a $20 lure into snaggy areas.

Leave that up to silly people like me !

Have fun mate.

Top advice.

You could throw in a Jitter bug for a top water toga. (See I'm learning @aussie123) Private joke.

You would never go to Borumba without a boat unless you only own a kayak or canoe.

Also using an electric motor is the big secret to success up there if tossing lures into the edges or at the snags.

I prefer to travel the 6km to the back of the lake and fish up there in the timber and around the weed beds.

17 hours ago, aussie123 said:

You would never go to Borumba without a boat unless you only own a kayak or canoe.

Also using an electric motor is the big secret to success up there if tossing lures into the edges or at the snags.

I prefer to travel the 6km to the back of the lake and fish up there in the timber and around the weed beds.

Pro tip thanks

Archived