Magic Murray Cod Trip

wesfish

Gday 

Long time since i have posted,thought i would some pics of a trip of dreams in september 2016.

It was a holiday with the kids to Copeton dam for camping and fishing. 

The dam was rising in full flood mode with 8000Mega ltrs pouring down the gorge. We ventured to the top of the dam in hope of finding yellas schhooled up. We drove the boat up the raging water before deciding to pull the boat up on the bank. We wandered around the shoreline throwing lures before we noticed the unthinkable. There were monster cod every where at our feet in the slack edges of water. We tried a few hardbodies with no luck, i put a chatter bait on and was on instantly. Up pops a 98cm goodoo! So close to the magic mtr lol a few quick pics and back into it. Couple cast later a 120cm+ grabs the lure at my feet, a short battle and hooks straightened. Devoed lol 

I look at my son and laugh its like a dream but a nightmare, asked if he tried the slack water at his feet. He said no so i throw the chatter in and hook up, this one took off down the raging water with me in hot pursuit jumping from boulder to boulder. I get it up a few times to see i have a 130cm+ hooked in the dorsal. My daughter freaked out at the size of it and said she is never swimming there again. After a few minutes trying to get grips on it the hooks straightened again. The monstro lure just not made for fish of this size. We decide to go back to the kiosk and get some chips and mumblers more suited for the next morning. Back at camp i done 100lb leaders up and tied on the big bassman mumblers. 

Next morning we are up the gorge by sunrise to the same spot.

I ran off the boat to get the first cast in racing my son lol Bam and i am on! 

I land 110cm of cod I had got my mtr cod after 2 years of the hunt, i get a pic of its mouth and hand the camera to my son. As i take the grips out to use my thumb she kicks off. I am in the water trying to wrangle her with the kids pissing themselves laughing. She got her freedom with my glory photo gone lol broke my double pluggers i was devoed again but all so happy as i had done it with my kids as witnesses. Next cast i hook and land a slim 113cm new pb again.  Few cast later i am on again and land a new pb again 120cm yeahaaa! My son ask can he have my lure as his isnt working, so i hand it over hoping he can get his mtr cod as well.

He cast at some shrimp jumping on the edge and bam he is on, he nearly got ripped off the boulder he is standing on. He stood his ground and landed the fattest 101cm! Proudest moment watching him battle this beast. Quick pics and released with care. After this fish it shut down as the cod moved up into the river. Most crazy cod session of beast cod. Best memories shared with my kids

P9221118.JPG

P9231142-1.jpg

P9231124-1.jpg

P9231133.JPG

P9231129.JPG

P9221121.JPG

P9231144.JPG

P9231136.JPG

P9231138.JPG

P9231131.JPG

15 minutes ago, Angus said:

Bloody good to see you Wes! I spent over an hour one day google mapping perving that back end of Copeton. Well done looks awesome!

Cheers mate , its beautiful country and well worth the effort. I have paddled up there on one trip lol 

Started on the cod 4 years ago and learning every season. Google has helped me explore many systems out west. 

31 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

WOW!!!!!!!!  Just is just absolutely insane fishing, well done on an awesome and memorable session you and your kids will remember forever. Just wish they got video of you trying to wrangle the cod .... 🙂 

Insane crazy action, if we never got out of the boat we would have never found them stacked up. Blessed by the goodoo god 😇

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow that is amazing. What a trip. I am yet to catch a freshwater cod and am pretty keen to get into it.

Great report. Thanks heaps. ROTM for sure? I hope someone beats it as it would have to be a cracker. 

They are cool critters and a joy to chase, just have to be prepared for alot of casting. I am hanging for open season 😁 might spend closed season putting a how to catch cod post up.

Archived