Best Squire Plastic!!

fishyman

im interested in starting to chase squire, firstly where is a good accessible place i can get to in a yak and most IMPORTANTLY!

what is the best plastic for chasing them ive heard the 2\" minnow in lime tiger and nuke chooks go alright. also what would be a good weight jighead in say 5m, 10m and 15m of water if thats not to much trouble for you guys.

also anyone heading across tangalooma in the next few weeks you might see me there fishing.

tight lines

Tom

A great starter spot is the rock wall at the mouth of the Brisbane river. Both inside and outside the river. Outside is probably better. We've caught a couple and seen alot of legal Snapper caught there on soft plastics.

For 5m, 1/8oz would be fine. 10m 1/6oz would also be good. 1/4oz should work in 15m. But it depends on the current and what weight line you're using.

My most effective plastic has been any of the 3\" Berkley Powerbait minnows. Particulary Pumkinseed.

Hope this helps:)

pinkey wrote:

first tip, id say 4 inch would be heaps better than 2\" thats abit to small.

thats exactly what i thought when i first came accros that info.

STU, yeah i thought any bait fish type imatation thingy would work well,

eg, squidie flick bait/shad, GULP minnow,jerk shad,pogy

Depends. It is more fun, but around heavy reef, you can get busted off. I use 6lb and havn't lost a fish yet, but most people use 8-10lb braid.

6lb will also allow you to use lighter jigheads. I'd use the 6lb, and then get some heavier stuff if you keep losing them. You shouldn't tho.

Use leader of around 10lb Flurocarben and you should be right;)

ahh exelltn i have 6lb fireline and some 10lb vanish leader, i do also have the 2\" minnow in lime tiger and nuke chook so ill buy a 3\" packet aswell. and i have some 1/6th jigheads so i should be set,

what colors are most effective for you guys?

also hope to see some people at the charltons sale apparently the discounts are quite large and they do stock somequality stuff.

This was from our first ever trip to the outside rock wall. It was on 10lb braid and measured 36cm. Was on a 3\" powerbait minnow in Pumkinseed using a 1/8oz, 1/0 hook TT jighead.

I was using the Pearl Watermelon and couldn't get a bite:(. So I changed to the Pumkinseed and instantly caught a 32cm Snapper. I hooked on my 6lb stuff and I handled it easily.

Good luck

[img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/14_10_07_1227_AFO-cdfcda8792a328a6dd351d598409a0e1.jpg

post-320-144598434296_thumb.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

pinkey wrote:
first tip, id say 4 inch would be heaps better than 2\" thats abit to small.

2\" is too small, but when I've used a 4\", I have missed nearly every strike. They just keep biting off the tails:angry:.

3\" appears to work the best for me:dry:

Try using 4inch grubs with a stinger hook set up in the tail section. Works a dream on bigger fish that chase bigger baits, and increase your hookup rates...

Archived