rainbow channel (help required)

Simo68

in the two years i’ve owned my boat ‘Pilfer’ i’ve ventured out slowly, green, then harries, mud, hope banks, chain banks/rous.

last weekend i went round the bend to experience the rainbow channel. i only ended up just passed the amity beach/boat ramp.

it was mad, went at high tide, was only in 5m, had four lines with a bit of weight on each, all pointing in different directions due to current!!

of course i did my research and know the tide rips through there but it was insane😂

i’m seeking any local knowledge that would help me for next attempt (i do love finding new places and trialing)

probably soft plastic wafting down? probably trolling lures?

... and probably not such a high running tide may help?

your advice would be appreciated

Simo

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

I've only tried there once, however I've thought about it and discussed it with a few other people. The consensus is to fish it on a neep tide around the change when the flow is at its minimum.

Agree completely here. There is plenty of good ground there but you can only fish it at best an hour either side of the change on a small tide. 

On a big moon and mid-tide the current can be 4-5kn in places along there, completely unfishable and not a great time to try and anchor either.