The Past Few Trips [Moreton Bay, Victoria, Brisbane River Sessions]

AUS-BNE-FISHO

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice write up Hamish with some fun outings. Interesting about the wobbegong, I always thought they were protected but doesn't appear that they are in Qld so I learnt something new 🙂.

Thanks KM, I heard they tasted good as well but pretty painful to fillet.

17 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Some tough fishing days there but at least you got onto a few. The bass were a bit of a surprise in the castnet and the tillies would have been a decent fight. Next holidays we'll get something decent from the Bay.

Thanks Brian, the bass were good to see in the net.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Some good variety of fishing there. Seems you wet a line whenever you have a spare moment. Must really have the fishing itch to scratch 🙂

Was the wobbegong bled beforehand? I would imagine the skin was tough to cut through to get to the flake?

Yep, it was bled and brain spiked. And gutted. The skin was the tough part to cut too, but the flesh was pretty tough as well. 

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Yep, it was bled and brain spiked. And gutted. The skin was the tough part to cut too, but the flesh was pretty tough as well. 

It has been many decades since I cut up a Wobbegong to eat but from what I remember, I think it was easier to push the knife under the skin and then cut outwards so that you are not trying to cut into the shark. To me, Wobbegongs did not taste too bad. We used to get quite a few in the craypots.