Low air pressure effects

ubnt

Hey ubnt

Recently, for a lot of my sessions in the river, I have noticed the air pressure has been around 1013, and the fishing has been quite crap. I believe when the air pressure is low or decreasing, the fishes swim bladder or another organ bloats, causing them to become quite weak and consequently not eat baits as aggressively. Alternatively, when I have had some of my better sessions in the river the air pressure has been closer to 1020. Obviously this isn’t always the case but it seems when the air pressure is higher the fish are more active. I don’t know if this applies at Nudgee Beach for smaller estuary species but I’m sure it would have some effect, 

Cheers Hamish 

6 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey ubnt

Recently, for a lot of my sessions in the river, I have noticed the air pressure has been around 1013, and the fishing has been quite crap. I believe when the air pressure is low or decreasing, the fishes swim bladder or another organ bloats, causing them to become quite weak and consequently not eat baits as aggressively. Alternatively, when I have had some of my better sessions in the river the air pressure has been closer to 1020. Obviously this isn’t always the case but it seems when the air pressure is higher the fish are more active. I don’t know if this applies at Nudgee Beach for smaller estuary species but I’m sure it would have some effect, 

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks Hamish, it sounds it had effects on your river fishing as well. I had heard that fish in the river can always swim deeper to counter the low pressure effects. However in nudgee beach there isn't little depth fish can dive, so i guess the effects are stronger. But i would love to hear others real experiences.

17 minutes ago, mangajack said:

The effect of barometric pressure on a swim bladder volume is nonsense. 

A swim bladder is regulated by the fish to adjust to depth pf water it is swimming in....same way your ears adjust to altitude.

if they are down 10 feet there is an extra 14.7psi of water pressure than at the surface, hence the swim bladder is pressurised by 14.7psi to protect it's organs and to adjust it's bouyancy.

As a fish rises a foot or two to take a baitfish it adjusts this pressure automatically to maintain it's correct bouyancy and protect it's organs.

Now how much difference do you think the barometric pressure will affect this process inside the fish or change the bloating of the swim bladder??

Understand that 1010 mb/hPa = 14.649 psi and 1020 mb/hPa = 14.794 psi is a difference of 0.145 psi which also equals about 1.18 inches in elevation in water.....(within the first 10 feet of depth that is)

Sort of blows your theory and superstitions on barometric pressure influence on swim bladders to pieces.

Thanks for the info, I guess there are other factors which play a larger part.