Old Alvey

I've got an old Alvey 650BC that I use for shark fishing, and it's slowly been falling apart over the years. Started out with the clicker not working, then the lever drag packed it in, and finally now I can't even wind it with the handle. I think some bits and pieces may have fallen off it over time, and it's been neglected pretty badly I'm sorry to say. I'm sure it's missing a washer or three, and maybe or spring or two.

Question is would it be worth trying to get it repaired at this stage, and can you by bits and pieces for it?

When I pulled mine down I could not remember how to put the springs back in. I emailed Alvey, and Glenn Alvey sent me the correct diagram within 30mins of my email! Very good customer service, after all it was 30 years since I had bought it.

Here is the diagram in case yours is similar. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/alvey.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, great thread thanks guys. I gave my 650c a workout at Peregian this week and the drag lever just keeps failing. Sometimes its on and other times the only drag is my hand. I've got no idea whats wrong - this weekend is the strip down and if I bugger something up I'm off to alvey to get them to have a look at it...

Thanks esp. for the spring email feral - I so could not work that out after is sproinged its way across the garage during disassembly - i think this is my problem...:-)

Archived