Milk powder from the 60's

Angry51

Probably sounds stupid but we were talking about powdered milk.

We used to get Sunshine brand but there was another one in a blue box

I was thinking it was called CMA or CDA milk.

Anybody remember back then, yeah a lot will say " what's powdered milk " 

but in the bush we didn't get fresh unless at home, and you milked the cows.

Ray, you might remember?

4 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Wazza, I think you need a Bex and a line down.😂

Did you find some Bex cleaning out the shed?, they stopped selling that stuff down here in the late 70’s, and as for the line down, yes, yes I do need to get a line down, it’s been ages since I wet a line, the wind down here has been horrible lately, Hahahaha 

13 minutes ago, Sylvathorn said:

We used to have fresh from the cow milk when we could, a local a couple of miles away had a few cows, we used to barter eggs for it - we had lots of chooks. Also had powdered milk, a bit, but fresh was best.
Sorry, I can't remember it in a blue box or tin though.

Oh, and that was in the Fifties.

17 hours ago, mangajack said:

The current kids can't work out the 2000's......

Funniest thing is put a spin dial phone on the table and see how they react.

haha, true!

Apparently a lot can't read the time either, if it's not on a digital clock and apparently a lot don't know how to tie shoelaces.

And; handy to know if you live in the city, they can't steal your car if it's not automatic as they can't drive a manual ! 😉 

Those were the days all right, we had to get to the milk bottles before the magpies or crows got stuck into the lids. Don't know what their fascination was for the lids, maybe it was because they were shiny or something. I can't imagine they were after the cream but who knows? I also grew up on powdered milk, we didn't own a fridge in those days as we had just come to Australia so powdered milk it was! It was a few years later we started to get deliveries of bottled milk.

Where we came from, we didn't have Corn Flakes, so my Mum used to add the made up powdered milk, warmed it and then added it to Corn flakes, and to top it off gave it to us about 5 minutes later, do you guys have any idea what that horrible gluggy concoction tasted like?Yuk!! 🤢

1 hour ago, Bretto77 said:

So @Angry51, my parents are staying at the moment. My mother says that you are right about the powdered milk in a blue box/ tin. Initially she said "Diploma". I told her you had been thinking cda or something like that and she went hmmm "yes, there was something like that". 

She can't remember at the moment, but said she knows exactly where to find out when she gets home. She has an old recipe for custard which calls for that brand. Will get the answer for you.

My father is no use on that one as his old man had a milk run on the Atherton Tablelands.... If he ever stops finding things to fix and tidy here, Mum can look at the recipe when she gets home....

Thanks Brett.😌

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...