This is sheet, give it 10 more minutes…

Bennno

AFO member Ben from Perth, Tony and myself hit the Trinity Inlet armed with a bucket full of prawns we cast-netted at a local creek. We spent the first couple of hours commenting on how bored we were and just looking at the nothingness. It was too quiet. Then Ben caught a good sized flathead, a rare catch at this spot. All the way from Perth for a flathead, how disappointing, but at least it was a good fish!

flatty-mat.jpg

flatty.jpg

Next up was Tony the tarpon magnet, proving once again nobody can match his superior tarpon angling skills. A very healthy fish this tarpon was and certainly was lively.

tarpon.jpg

Next up was my turn with a little estuary gold spot cod and Ben was on again with a 34cm fingermark that we forgot to photo. It was Ben's first fingermark so he was pleased to see on emerge from the depths. The fishing was still very slow with bite windows producing 2 fish at a time. I also caught a sand crab that was a jenny, so back she went.

cod-40.jpg

The ten more minutes call was made and suddenly we were in again, this time Tony with a 40cm mangrove jack.

jack-tony.jpg

Ben came back with a keeper fingermark that he will no doubt enjoy eating. A beautiful fish too.

fingermark-40.jpg

fingermark-hold.jpg

So with a bit of perseverance and many, many ten more minute calls, five more, even two more we managed enough fish to give Ben a small sample of what the Trinity Inlet has on offer. Hopefully next time some larger fish come out to play and give us some fair game around the pylons.

Archived