Ebay Braids...?

Rocket75

With the AFO charter coming closer, I am looking to spool up a big lever drag that I bought recently 2nd hand.

The reel is a Silstar Big Fin 50, capacity 500m/24kg (mono)

It's going on a 24kg roller tip Backbone, and I was thinking about using 40lb braid/superline.

I'm leaning towards braid due to low stretch and smaller diameter(less drag)...logical?

Will I have troubles with fine braid diam getting between the roller tip and the framing??

Has anyone got any feedback for me on the braids etc that you can buy from the shops on ebay? Positive or negative.

The reel will only be used infrequently, but when I am using it, I don't want to be wasting my charter money by using rubbish to save a quick buck upfront.

Most likely scenario is to bulk out spool with heavy mono backing and top-up with approx 300m of braid.

All opinions valued.

Thanks

Rocket

I would put 50lb Braid on that. The 24kg rod will handle it fine. The braid shouldn't have any problems with the guides. At these weights, it does start to get a bit thick (not as thick as mono though)

I would steer clear of "Blue Steel". I bought some and it was pretty crap.

I would look at getting something like Tuf Line, Berkley Whiplash or some other good brand. You won't regret it:)

Hope this helps:)

Hiya Rocket Rod, I have 30lb braid on a TLD 25, 15kg roller tip rod. The only prob,is when bottom bashin in rough wether sometimes the line can fall between the roller and the guide. Just gota keep some sinker weight on it to stop the bounce. Otherwise no worries.

And buy a good quailty braid, brought some of that "Mojiko" stuff for glendas reel 40lb ,doesnt feel too bad. $40 for 300mts.

Cowfish13 wrote:

I would put 50lb Braid on that. The 24kg rod will handle it fine. The braid shouldn't have any problems with the guides. At these weights, it does start to get a bit thick (not as thick as mono though)

I would steer clear of "Blue Steel". I bought some and it was pretty crap.

I would look at getting something like Tuf Line, Berkley Whiplash or some other good brand. You won't regret it:)

Hope this helps:)

Berkley whiplash can be bought for round the 50 dollar mark (300yrds 50lb)
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1202

Rocket, Sounds like you've got a heap of capacity on that reel. Definitely get yourself a big spool of clear heavier mono for backing (I use 15kg). What you don't use for backing you can use to make leaders which are more than adequate for most charter situations.

Top it off with some braid to 50lb. I use 30lb which was good for the baby flatties and grinners on the last charter:P . ;) :laugh: :laugh: :blush: (at least I caught the most fish :whistle:)

Archived