Reel Size Question?

fishyman

heya guys B)

i am currently making up a parts list for my new rod i am shouting myself, it will be the second of my bream rods.

my question is, the rod will be about 1-3kg or 2-4kg and i plan to use it mainly for bream but every so often take it out to catch small snapper in my yak. Would a 1000 size reel that fits exactly 150y of 4lb platy braid or 1 spool of 6lb fireline be enough to cope with snapper? i realise its not ideal and ill probably get smoked a few times but hey thats half the fun right :blink: :silly: :lol:

im thinking either another stradic 1000 or maybe upgrade to the sustain 1000, or if slightly bigger is the way to go the new 2000 twinpower.

the stradic and sustain both pull 7lbs of drag, while the new 2000 twinpower pulls 5kg MAX.

any thoughts??

G'day Champion,

If it were me and I wanted a 1000 size reel to use on snapper now and then, WOW, I would probably use something with exceptional drag system, nothing less than say, STELLA. If you are going that small on the gear, and that big on the fish, you need to concentrate on the drag.

Only my 2 cents, and hope it helps.

Warmest Regards

Al

Mate it depends how many reels you plan to own.

The 1000 will prob handle everything you want to catch, but how annoyed would you be if you were out there getting done over and over with no alternative. In this case a 2000 or even 2500 is more versitile and still light enough to have loads of fun.

However, if your out with a 1000 but have a 2000-2500 on stand by anyway, by all means go the 1000.

I think that made sense.

Angus

for snapper up to 40cm theres no need for anything really over a 1000 with 6lb

and if u were going for the twin power if u put the same line on it and put the drag to 5kg with 6lb or 4lb line would round 8lb leader youd prob snap the line with a decent fish

but with twin power if u had 2 spools with 2 diff lines id prob go 4lb for and and other spool like round 10-15lb with mayby heavier rod then you would have good chance at landing it if you got onto a 60cm snapper and little ones stiil ok fight with that gear

TP2500 is pretty small compared to a lot of others so the new TP 2000 would be ideal. No point in going fishing for fish that can spool you cause you might end up out there with no line left!

I really can't see why you'd need to go down to a 1000 sized reel . My 2500 TP is fine and even though it isn't really that lite I can use it all day without fatigue.

Archived