Boat windscreens

reelchippy

This is how I used to do it.

1 You need 4 strips of masonite.

The masonite is to localise the heat and to support while bending.Make certain that the 2 bits of masonite will not touch when the perspec is bent. You may need them a skerrick furthur appart

For 10mm perspec clamp masonite to each side of perspec 30 mm

apart. Rule is 3 times the thickness.

Take your time and heat the exposed strip of perspec with a soft flame primus burner.

Do it slowly too much heat will cause the perspec to bubble.

Heating is best done by two persons one heating each side of the perspec.

Slightly more heat to outside radius of curve.

Wait untill you can feel the perspec soften before you commence to bend and trying to have too sharp a bend woll cause the perspec to crack.

Try it on a scrap bit first to get the feel of it

If your existing screen is only crazed and discoloured you can restore it to new condition by polishing it with brasso.

Hope this helps if unclear ring me 32068583.

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray.

The masonite, how big are the strips and do they run across the window or vertical?

rayke1938 wrote:

This is how I used to do it.

1 You need 4 strips of masonite.

The masonite is to localise the heat and to support while bending.Make certain that the 2 bits of masonite will not touch when the perspec is bent. You may need them a skerrick furthur appart

For 10mm perspec clamp masonite to each side of perspec 30 mm

apart. Rule is 3 times the thickness.

Take your time and heat the exposed strip of perspec with a soft flame primus burner.

Do it slowly too much heat will cause the perspec to bubble.

Heating is best done by two persons one heating each side of the perspec.

Slightly more heat to outside radius of curve.

Wait untill you can feel the perspec soften before you commence to bend and trying to have too sharp a bend woll cause the perspec to crack.

Try it on a scrap bit first to get the feel of it

If your existing screen is only crazed and discoloured you can restore it to new condition by polishing it with brasso.

Hope this helps if unclear ring me 32068583.

Cheers

Ray

yer mate, we been perspects at school all the time. it is great stuff to work with and a little bita work u can bend it easier enough with some heat.

at school we use bar heaters which is just a strip with heat comin off of it and then can be bent in your hands or a per made jig(bit more accurite).

Goof luck mate. hope this helps

Bait Bringa wrote:

yer mate, we been perspects at school all the time. it is great stuff to work with and a little bita work u can bend it easier enough with some heat.

at school we use bar heaters which is just a strip with heat comin off of it and then can be bent in your hands or a per made jig(bit more accurite).

Goof luck mate. hope this helps

Before I stopped doing workshop, we used perspex/akrylic all the time. Using both the strip heaters and the heat guns it was really easy to use. The just use either a coping or band saw, sand &buff up the edges and it's better than anything you could buy:cheer:

yer that right a little trick i learnt to add with that if u turn a steel ruler on its edge and go along with the cut it removes all the big up and down scratches, and then follow that with the wet and dry and then on to the buffin, and as cowfish said it will turn out lookin like a treat.

GOOD LUCK

Archived