Fresh water Aquarium fish

kriso

hey guys,

I have bought a 3ft tank and was going to orginally setup a marine/saltwater tank but have decided against it due to the conditions and lack of experience on my behalf as i have never had fish. So what is a good fish that is relativly easy to take of and could have have maybe 3 or 4 in the tank (i like having friends so i fisgure fish do as well) probably will have the same breed in the tank instead of a mix.

Cheers

krisco are you planning on having natives or just freshwater fish in general??

if its general freshwater fish in general - angel fish are pretty good and easy to keep you can get 4 for $10 ish at the rocklea markets. otherwise the easiest fish to keep would just be goldfish or tetras and guppies

Kriso, If you get bass they will self regulate their size. They are however quite a boring tank specimen except when feeding.

If you want fish with a bit of character and that are almost indestructible, get Plasticman to take you for a fish at his Acacia Ridge spot x and pick up a few Spangled Perch.

Barring the first 5 or so years of marriage I've kept fish since I was in single figures in the early 70's. The spanglys are by far the most entertaining of the natives. Always active etc. Most other natives tend to sit around and/or hide except for feed time. If you ever get bored the spangly would probably be a good livey for a nice cod:woohoo:

Barcoo grunter come a good second and grow reasonably fast, but you shouldn't let them go in the local waterways.

Murray Cod. Exciting to feed and great to look at. Grow fast. Expensive to feed.

Yellowbelly. Same as cod. Not too busy unless feeding. Slow growth rate in comparison.

Silver Perch. Feel like your at the suburban Chinese Restaurant.

Tandanus. Not too bad if you like the ballet. Good eaters. Will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

Mangrove Jack. (Have not kept these but have heard-) Loner fish only. Great character too. Expensive to feed once they've grown a bit.

Have also had a very short experience with a Saratoga.....:blush: Would recommend them too, but may outgrow your tank. Angus might be able to comment on their growth rate better than me though.

This is a good site to suss out Natives for aquariums -

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

Click on "Fish Files"

I to just baught a fish tank, last friday (11th). I only at this point have about 4 small plants, and the fish i let my 5yr old daughter pick, so we have about 12 guppies, and 3 rainbows. I steered her away from the goldfish, but these fish will do for now while I learn abit about set-ups, tank care, water care etc... then i'll slap a couple of nice natives in. I know yippies (pet store) at Browns Plains have a great range of pearch, barra, yella's etc...

DAve

ellicat wrote:

Kriso, If you get bass they will self regulate their size. They are however quite a boring tank specimen except when feeding.

If you want fish with a bit of character and that are almost indestructible, get Plasticman to take you for a fish at his Acacia Ridge spot x and pick up a few Spangled Perch.

Barring the first 5 or so years of marriage I've kept fish since I was in single figures in the early 70's. The spanglys are by far the most entertaining of the natives. Always active etc. Most other natives tend to sit around and/or hide except for feed time. If you ever get bored the spangly would probably be a good livey for a nice cod:woohoo:

Barcoo grunter come a good second and grow reasonably fast, but you shouldn't let them go in the local waterways.

Murray Cod. Exciting to feed and great to look at. Grow fast. Expensive to feed.

Yellowbelly. Same as cod. Not too busy unless feeding. Slow growth rate in comparison.

Silver Perch. Feel like your at the suburban Chinese Restaurant.

Tandanus. Not too bad if you like the ballet. Good eaters. Will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

Mangrove Jack. (Have not kept these but have heard-) Loner fish only. Great character too. Expensive to feed once they've grown a bit.

Have also had a very short experience with a Saratoga.....:blush: Would recommend them too, but may outgrow your tank. Angus might be able to comment on their growth rate better than me though.

This is a good site to suss out Natives for aquariums -

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

Click on "Fish Files"

i have to agree with you mate beening were i live with the waterhole across the road that is full of spanglys i have had them for years they make awesome pet and are always doing something but their are really agressive and will beat on any other fish in the tank

Why not have some fun with it, spend $20 on some bait traps and try out a few of your local creeks and see what range of small natives you can come up with. There are a couple of different species of rainbows, plenty of different gudgeons maybe some shrimp and yabbies. When you get bored by this introduce some spangled perch and see what gets left standing.:P Or you could release the other ones first of course.

Archived