Albert once again....

Dazzamcgee

Went out for an early Albert river bush bash this morning and was greeted with heavy fog and chilly conditions. The Albert doesn’t offer many land based fishing areas so a mission through the scrub was in order. Started flicking around a Kakoda bat lure at my fav spot and on the third cast to a nearby snag working the lure as to keep it in the strike zone produced nothing. The bat had move to far away from the zone so I retrieved it at lighting speed and as it bounced and skipped its way back to me only a few feet away just as I started to lift it from the water for the next cast the surface erupted “fish onâ€Â. Drag screamed as the fish was running left to right and back again in an attempt to avoid capture and after a short tussle in pops a very healthy bass going easily 40 cms.

This being by far one of the better bass that I have caught from the Albert received some sweet words and a quick release, Nice fish!! A through search and destroy mission of the area produced nothing so a move was in order. Walking through thick over grown banks is tough going and with a few trips found myself busted up and bleeding “Oh well†I thought as I pushed on in search of new fishing grounds.

Fishing from behind the snags is very eye opening as from the water side one would be casting their hardest to get the lure as far back as possible into the snags in search of fish but from behind the snag there’s nowhere to cast so a change in the game plan would need to be adopted.

I found a really fishy spot , a small eddy behind a fallen tree that was covered in shade and below a steep vertical drop of about two metres or so that I was standing on. The trees growing along the bank offered no chance of a cast so with some smart thinking I held the rod at arms length out over the water and slowly lowered the bat straight down to the surface. Jiggle jiggle here and a jiggle jiggle there and “boof†fish on!! Only a small bass was landed of about 30cm but still a fish !! Moving further along the scrub laden bank produced yet another small Albert river bass using the same method of fishing from behind the snags. Exhausted and bush bashed I decided to call it a day with three fish that where caught and release in very tough conditions made for one very “wild†fishing session.:)

Sorry no photo’s this time.

Archived