Gundy Carp Cull

Feral

Well we dont have an area for the inland rivers, so as the waterway in question is half in Mexico, I thought this would do!

Well we arrived about 4ish on Anzac day, had an hour to kill before we could sign on, so did the town tour, sussed the boat ramp, went down to Bogabilla to see how the Mexican's live (talk about poor cousins over the border), then still had 50 minutes to kill before sign in!

Anyway signed in, then hit the sack for the night.

To cut a long story short we fished for 1 1/2 days with only only one bite, no fish boated.

Bri the Pom did well, and was only beaten by another Pom, between them they landed over 1/4 of the fish caught for the entire field of 150 adults, and 80 kids!

Bri at least got one of the consolation random draw prizes for his efforts, as a couple of teams knocked him back into fourth place for most caught, and he was pipped at the post by a late 680mm entry to beat his 580mm as the biggest carp.

We took Alex's boat, and he spent the time mixing between playing and trolling for cod, Ray and I seriously had a shot at Carp, using every bait heard of, burley by the gallon, I even trolled! No go. They might be a pest, but they are not easy to catch!

P1100765.jpg

P1100770.jpg

P1100773.jpg

I wanna cod!

P1100783.jpg

P1100800.jpg

P1100806.jpg

P1100809.jpg

I didn't tell em about the spare battery......

P1100812.jpg

Even Goondiwindi has a few well heeled residents....

P1100819.jpg

So desperate for a fish they even fished the van park duck pond!

P1100821.jpg

P1100829-1.jpg

Camp site (hexy, $36 a night for a powered camping site!) next year - bush camp here we come!

P1100835-1.jpg

camp Kitchen

P1100836-1.jpg

P1100838-1.jpg

P1100835.jpg

Spare battery is a crackup:laugh: :laugh:

Doesn't the river look good :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Most of the carp I've seen out there are usually hard up against the bank (if that helps for next year).

Heard there were a few cod around recently. Did you hear reports of any Feral ? What stretch did you target ?

Dunno Ellicat, pretty sure Bri was fishing out from the bank a fair bit.

Lady caught a cod at the Ramp just before we pulled the boat on day 2, but it was only a little one.

Saw one bloke pull a couple of yella's off a snag we had just spent 20 minutes fishing! But he was using live bait, and ours had snuffed it due to a pump malfunction on the way out.

We fished about 2 k each side of the ramp.

Learnt a few things.

The carp bit best at night when we were in bed so next time it will be a night time fish. I eavesdropped on a few of the locals and they had been berleying a few spots for the last week or so.

The englishman who scooped the pool with most and best fish was a backpacker so he took the $400 for the most and donated the minnkota back to the fishing club which was a nice gesture.

There were a few yellowbelly and 2 cod caught that I heard of.

The comp should be a lot better next year as the organisers were on a learning curve. It had a good turn out of 150 competitors mainly locals who scooped most of the minor prizes and lucky draws.

We were hoping that Bri The Pom would have got the best fish as he certainly put in a lot of hours camping on the side of the river bank.

NO photos of any fish so here are a few more of the area.

Prickly pear

P1010195AFO-1.jpg

Learning how to put up the tent in the drizzle.

P1010196AFO.jpg

Callum got bored easily and wasnt slow in letting us know.

P1010197AFO-1.jpg

Both boats ready for launching.

P1010200AFO-1.jpg

Plenty of fishy looking territory there.

P1010205AFO.jpg

Mort good looking spots. 15 ft of water at base of tree.

P1010209AFO.jpg

Very scenic.

P1010211AFO.jpg

DPI electrofish were there.

P1010213AFO.jpg

They had tagged over 400 carp during the week and I think that 11 were caught during the comp. We saw then out on the water and noticed that they had very little freeboard and I commented on it when speaking to one of them and he said that the hull had split. Apparently the electrofishing causes severe electrolis problems with their boats and they usually only last a year before they have to be replaced.

Was interesting in hearing how they vary the voltage, frequency and current depenting on the resistance of the water and species targeted.

P1010214AFO.jpg

Part of the crowd at the prizegiving.

P1010215AFO.jpg

Brian collecting his lucky draw prize.

P1010217AFO.jpg

Callum pretending the water wasnt cold.

P1010220AFO.jpg

Alex didnt care.

P1010222AFO.jpg

What happens if you dont peg down your tent.

P1010223AFO.jpg

All loaded up ready to leave after a good weekend. Will I be back next year YOU BET.

Cheers

Ray

Archived