Pimlico Farm - UK

FISH_mad_POM

Well after a couple of blank sessions down at the farm i decided that due to the lowering tempertures i would have to make a tactic and bait change so i decided to make a new pate type of bait with the addtion of 5ml maple liquid flavouring and some crushed hemp seed. I selected a 1/2 kilo of fish meal based trout pellet and crushed it to a fine powder and then added 6 x eggs and the other stuff and mixed until a nice rich paste was made.

With his in hand i was off 1 hour before dawn on sunday and selected my swim with the whole lake to myself. On my ledger rod a put a 25mm ball of paste on a hair rig and size 8 hook and on the float setup i used a large lobworm.

Come 3pm i had landed 3 x perch over a pound in weight on the float rod along with 12 smaller perch and on the ledger rod i had 11 carp between 7lb and 13lb.

Not a bad days fishing for this time of year considering i blanked in the week ! well thats fishing for you !

Not sure if it effects you guys anf girls but im sure the moon cycles were to blame for the 2 x different days too ?? [img size=397]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/perch1.jpg

Cowfish: Nar, they've acctually found a good use for them :P . Regarded as a top fighting/sporting fish. They get much bigger over there so I'd say that's why they are held high. I'm guessing they are still slimy buggers? :P . They definately look it. Though I'm not sure about Redfin over here in Aus. Do you have to kill them? I don't think you have to.

Troy

The big problem with Redfin is they can overpopulate an area really quickly and tend to become stunted. These were the bread and butter fish where I grew up in Vic and are very tasty although smaller specimens can be a bit bony. They are also very aggressive and put a big dent in native fish populations.

We dont kill the carp over here cowfish , in fact there classed as a good catch amongst most anlgers although theres other species i rate alot higher on my own personal list.

As for the perch well ive never eaten one and all the anglers i have spoken too also dont know what they taste like ????

There life span is only up to 7-8 years old naturally so a big one of about 2-2.5 kilo is looked at as a old fish and earns the respect to swim another day.

As the trend over recent years in UK is biased to carp then the perch are thriving on the neglect they get and have started to establish themselves in many venues nationwide.

Im gonna look out for a recipe for them now though and maybe try a bit soon !

Archived