Deja Vu

waldo

Hummed and hahhed for an hour or so whether to go before hooking up the tinny about 2pm. Was hoping despite the clear water to pick off a grassy or two with luck or even a stray squire along the 5-6m lines behind the islands.

First cast brought up a pike which became the fresh bait. Tried for a few of his mates I could see skulking around the bottom but they wouldn't even look at the bait. So I gave that away and chased what I came for, and got my target species, unfortunately all in mini me sizes. 2 grassies to 25cm and around 10 squire to 25cm.

Decision time coming onto dusk, with nothing of value I considered a quick run to the arty but my baits didn't suit so I ruled that out quickly. Back to chasing bream and tailor was the easy choice.

Like Monday night the best of the tailor action was early before 6pm with two fair fish coming in before an extended game of dropsies :dry: Two bigger tailor come almost into the boat only to lose them, then a catty then two more dropped tailor, then a bream bite, then one more dropped and they shut down. It was surprising they kept coming 1 or 2 drops in close succession usually has them moving off and disappointing because 3 I would have guest would have come close to 50cm by the fights.

Another catty then a blind/cat shark (long skinny light brown thing) bigger than I usually see them at about 5feet long breaks the monotony of watching the pilly supply cleaned up by pickers.

With two to go a just legal tailor side steps the esky and ends up on the cutting board, which is something I usually wouldn/t and prefer not to do. But its that or go home so I switch to bream and first cast gets smashed, a tailor? nope a good bream which fought way above its app 35cm size. 3 smaller bream followed and a tailor which was sporting one of my other hooks in its lip that had been bitten off earlier :woohoo:

A long session but the beautiful evening with the big moon and near perfect conditions made it easy to take till the tide changed bringing a westerly with a strong sewage and oil smell combo :S that got me heading for home.

Final tally 3 tailor 4 bream (all male again) For those with a feeling of dejavu however I got another pic to show they are different fish and I don't have old timers disease and am reporting on the same catch twice :laugh: Just have to wait for wifey to bring the camera home tonight. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tuesday.jpg

post-2225-144598458503_thumb.jpg

Shorty it's only when you clean the fish you find out,

white(melt) = male

orange(roe) = female

I have always considered the males looked slightly narrower and were thinner in the shoulders, but I also thought the bigger fish I caught last night was going to be female before I cleaned him. :huh: :woohoo:

Nope that's me done for the rest of the week, unless the weather lloks like it is going bad next week then I might venture out one day over the weekend. I have no bait, and am getting short on bream hooks (tomorrows job) so couldn't go if I wanted to. Gives my back a rest from the hard tinny seats too :cheer:

Same as my fishing Mack attack as simply as possible.

Keep well chilled then debone and skin the fillets, rinse and dry well in paper towels. After that choose either to dip in milk then drop into plastic bag of bread crumbs, shake and fry till golden. Or egg then into flour fry till just cooked. A squeeze of lemon and drop a fillet into a slice of very fresh white bread is a favorite of mine. Nothing fancy but tastes great when fish are fresh.

Archived