Agnes Waters 1770 Trip

BassTracker

Hi guys.

As some of you know I am a youth worker at a youth shelter on the brisbane north side. I try to organise a camp once or twice a year for the kids who come through the place. Alot of them love thier fishing but dont get the opportunity to get amongst it much. Last year was fraser island, early this year was Morton island, Ive just got funds for another one and have decided on 1770!

We're renting a house for the week and I'm taking my 4 meter tinny with me so I can take the boys out for a fish and do a bit of crabbing.

I dont know the area very well, and was wondering if you guys might be able to point me in the right direction for some mackeral and tuna action and any general info about the place.

Apreciate it guys

Brad

and heres a couple of pics from the fraser trip

usually just wide of bustard head there is some action on the pelagic front. queenies, tuna, mackeral etc. there are some wrecks in reasonably close where there are hundreds of trevally hanging around all the time too, i'm attempting to source GPS marks for them for a future trip of my own! ;) there is some good fishing up the estuary as well, not dissimilar to brisbane area regarding picking spots, crabbing is pretty good too.

Thanks mate, bustard head sound like the go.. if you come up with those marks I'd be happy to check em out for ya!! Ive heard the crabbing is pretty good, i dont think its far enough north to get tallies left behind in your pots if someone pinches your crabs.. i think the mexicans have made it up that far.. i thinks thats why the cane toad keep going further and further north..

no need to be racist mate... :laugh: :P

i have met a couple of nice mexicans in my time, none of them play in the origin team though... (assuming you mean NSW of course)

land based isn't bad off bustard head either, it's a bit of a hike to get to the best spots tho. try trolling, live baiting or poppering around the area, you should attract some attention. burley up and float some pillies out if things are quiet. should be lucky.

basstracker/benno

I can help you out with trawler wreck gps marks if you want them

the wrecks are more than a few kms out though around 12 -14ks out

and yes they are chockers with trevally and mch better species if you can get through trevs crabbing is not as good as it used to be pot theft is a big problem estuary is pretty tricky to navigate without using gps

• 2 weeks later...

Guys thanks alot for the info, We're heading up there from the 30th to the 4th so I'll make sure to take a camera and gather as much info as I can from the locals and I'll give a report when I get back. Those GPS marks for the wrecks sound like a bit too big an adventure to have in my little tinny.. But Ive heard there are some good charter companies up that way so maybe next time Im up there I'll make use of them... AND wouldnt it be nice to live somewhere where big trevs are a pest!!!

Basstracker

I have been to 1770 a few times for pleasure and work.

If you want to cut about an hour off the trip the best way is to go is through Bundaberg.

The road is bitumen all the way.

Go to Bundy and go over the Tallon Bridge (First bridge)

Stay on that road.

Turn left into Bundaberg Gin Gin Rd

Turn right into Bundaberg Lowmead Rd

Turn right into Tablelands Rd

This road changes names a couple of times but just stay on it all the way and you end up in Agnes Waters then just turn left to go to 1770.

It may sound like a bit to remember but once you get onto the Bundaberg to Lowmead road there are plenty of signs pointing to Agnes Waters.

If you want a map and directions go to
/>http://www.travelmate.com.au/MapMaker/MapMaker.asp

and type in (from)Bundaberg (to)Seventeen Seventy

Archived