Sunny Coast breamin

nabs

Hey guys,

Bit of a late report.. I had a few trips out the last week and was going to do one big report but decided against that. So heres the first report B)

I went up to the Sunny Coast last week Monday morning to fish with Will in and around the Canals that he talks so much about :P

Got the train there at 5am and arrived at 7:15. We headed off to fish the canals around the Maroochy river and after a quick look around, I had 3 fish in about 5 casts while will was getting his snags off:laugh: The fish were all pretty small but still good fun and fast action while it lasted. We walked around a bit and saw some kids throwing chips in the water and watching all these big bream come out and smash em.

"Theres a big mangrove jack over there" One of the kids told us:ohmy: I was soon offered to put a chip on my jighead and gladly accepted the offer ;) Straight away the chip took off and a good bream had inhaled it. The fish ended up going 32cm to the fork and put up a real good fight. Doesnt really count being caught on the chip, but still a good fight :) The fish was quickly released and we kept on fishing the canals.

P7070180.jpg

The 32cm bream caught on a chip:laugh:

Thing slowed down for a bit until we worked out where the fish were holding, they were all in the shallows in between the pontoons with most of them holding just off the boat ramps behind peoples houses. Basically every cast near the boatramp would result in instant hits before you could flip the bail arm over :blink: The fish were small but they were very aggressive. We struggled to hook a lot of them and dropped heaps. But still ended up getting a few. Will nailed one going 29cm to the fork and my biggest only went 26cm. After a long walk fishing the canals we decided to call it quits and head off home. I ended up with 13 fish for the day and will had just the 4.

Most the fish were caught on 2inch New Penny Gulp Shrimps and Will got the biggest on a 6inch Camo sandworm cut down to 4inch.

will_bream.jpg

Wills biggest fish for the day

headshot1.jpg

Head Shot..

I gave the Damiki Bings SPs a quick go today and managed a few small fish. They look awesome in the water and seem to be a great lure to use when the fish are finnicky. At some stages in the day we would have patches of no fish and the Damiki seemed to get the fish. I was using the 1.5inch Bing so its very small and excellent for really "finessing" bream.

bing2.jpg

1.5inch Damiki

bingresize3.jpg

2nd Pic

We planned to take Wills boat out the next day and see if we could hit up a few marinas and canals. The weather had other plans and it rained all night and didnt stop. Waking up to the sound of rain isnt the best start to a day:blush:

We decided to just leave the boat and have a landbased session so that if the weather did get crap, it would be easy to find shelter.

We started off fishing a marina, well the parts that we could access anyway. The fish were on and we got about 10 fish between us before they went off the bite. It was still raining at this stage and the wind was blowing a fair bit so we went to try and warm up and grab something to eat.

Once we finished, the rain died down a bit and we went straight to some canals. Different to the ones we fished the previous day. These canals had more pontoons and boats in it. I started off fishing one of the 4inch Bings and Will fished a 3inch Pearl Watermelon powerbait. I got the first bream, not huge but it had a few aggresive strikes at the Bing. Being a 4inch SP, I was suprised to see even the small bream still after it.

bingresize1.jpg

Bream taken on the 4inch Clear Bing

bingresize2.jpg

and another pic...

Today the fish seemed to be holding tight up against the pontoons and you really had to get right up against them or you wouldnt get a touch. Will managed a few fish on the powerbait while I was changing and swapping lures. He continued smashing the bream, the average size seemed to be better today with Will nailing one at 30cm that went very hard. Going from one side of a pontoon to the other and around the pylons. He was lucky to get that fish out.

I got a nice sized cod on a gulp shrimp, didnt measure but im guessing it went somewhere between 35-40cm.

cod_resized.jpg

My cod.

We both got a few more fish but the fish slowly went off the bite with the change of tide and that was it for the day.

Will smashed me today, I cant exactly remember the numbers but I think he got over 15 fish and me around 5.

It was a good trip for me, its been a while since I've been able to fish without having to worry about a competition or how good a prefish went. A lot less stress :)

Hope you guys enjoyed the read and pics.

Cheers

A great read, Thanks Nabs;) Some realy good pics there also.

When the tide changed and the fish went off the chew, Did' it start going out or in?

Do you put much action into the bings, or do you find they have enough action on there own?

Looks like you guys had a ball, Keep them coming;)

Jayson

Archived