unidentifed shark ?

Guest IcEkNiGhT

Guest IcEkNiGhT

i think this pic will work if not i dunno :S this is a shark i caught in mackay the bait was a whole stingray set out 1km from the shore on the low tide an awaited the high tide. it drowned on the hooks and was not known till the next morning when the bait was retrieved.

ahhh i dunno how to get this pic on... if u wish angus msg me and il send it to ur email and u can put it on here,

Post edited by: IcEkNiGhT, at: 2006/11/15 17:50

Mattza13 in all fariness that was a fairly pointless comment.

While the reel is huge and more than enough to deal with that shark, when putting a ray out 1km from the shore you never know whats going hit it!

What is it Sledging week.

On a more topical note, i have no idea what shark that is. Im going to have a look at some sites and see if i cant some up with something.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/11/16 06:46

I reckon it could be a large White Tip Reef Shark.

They do reach 7 foot.

My reasons are

*The head shape

*Distance from nose tip to dorsal fin.

*Fin shape.

*Location caught.

*Nose.

The only things making me slithly unsure are

*The lack of the white tip.

*That slightly strange ridge running up the back of its head.

However, i think both of these things can be explained by the fact it was proberly dead for quite a while on that line. Colors can often fade or change when dead. And the ridge could be due to flacid muscles etc???

I wish there was a better pic of the tail, see how the white has that distinctive notch? Do you remember anything like that?

Anyone else want to throw a few cents at my reasoning?

[img size=333]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/White_tip.jpg

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/11/16 07:23

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/11/16 07:25

post-63-144598402649_thumb.jpg

Guest IcEkNiGhT

yeah, wells first. the tail is identical.... altho the pectoral fins are definatly different... the only explanation iv come up with so far is that sharks are cross breeding? anyone with anythoughts on that? and mattza... thats gota be a message just to stir yeah? if u want il send u the pics of me out on the low tide mark.. and then u tell me you can do that on a tld 50. its simple you cant. the reel pictured is a 16/0 penn with 130lb. the night befor i got smashed on a large 23lb ray which took nearly 600 yards off me... so your goin to sit there and tell me its overkill?

mmm I disagree, boys! Have a good look at the shape of the dorsal, very different, and the shape of the shape, and the ridge along the back....:whistle:

I've a had a dig through Grants and couldn't find anything close. I would suggest make a post on Ausfish. I have found them hand for IDs in the past.:huh:

Guest IcEkNiGhT

yeah the sand tiger commonly known as the grey nurse. i thought that when i first seen it.... same teeth and all but to me the pectorals and the head seem a different shape........ :S

:ohmy: Wow so many anglers on this site and not one of you got it right :laugh: not even BIG SHOT WE KNOW IT ALL SIMON AND JAMES :laugh: .

Ok IcEkNiGhT I seen your photographs, and have

identified your shark as the Australian Weasel Shark (Hemigaleus

australiensis), formerly grouped with the Sicklefin Weasel Shark.

The Sicklefin Weasel Shark (Hemigaleus microstoma) is a widespread

species, occurring through the waters of much of South-East Asia.

However, in 2005 there was a taxonomic revision of the species which

resulted in a new species being identified as H. australiensis, which is

found from the East Indian Ocean to the western Pacific, including

Australian waters.

The maximum size recorded for the Australian Weasel Shark is 110 cm,

however your shark looks to be much larger than this. If you have any

more photographs or information on this catch, can you please forward it

onto me .

Well done on the shark ;) keep up the good work

Best regards

Matt

Gee mate that looks pretty dam close. If that is indeed the fish you say it is, I bet there would be some marine biologists very keen to here some more about it!

Heres some more info on what Mako M said (courtesy of Google):

/>http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=762

Guest IcEkNiGhT

Well there mat, it sure dose look like the culprit, yea mine was 6,1 foot to the fork of the tail and probably around the 100lbs, i have lots more pics if you wish and i can give more info on its excate capture point, u got msn? if so add me jmster66@hotmail.com. thanks..

oh by the way mako i think my dad still might have some flesh in his freezer!

Post edited by: IcEkNiGhT, at: 2006/11/18 11:25

Archived