rectifier

beno

Depends on the motor.

What do you want it for?

On fishing boats they generally are flat out putting enough charge back into the battery to do much more than make up for the starting drain.

A lot of fisho's dont actually run the motor all that long when on a trip. an hour or so of high speed running, to 4 or five hours fishing!

it a pull start, i just want it to trickle charge the battery, so i can charge it on the way home or on the way out, the other thing i want to do is run a charging cable from the car to the boat trailer to cahrge it on long trips and between places uno any ideas??

beno wrote:

shouldnt the outboard just have a couple of aux wires so u can just plug the rectifier in

Depends on the model of the motor. If they come with nothing you will have to purchase new coil or maybe whole stator or they may just have a lighting coil fitted which is designed solely for running some lights or a proper regulated power supply that is normally only fitted to motors with electric start.

The lighting coil will only provide a couple of amps .

Check up on the model of your motor on the merc web site and you should be able to find out if anything is fitted.

The later model 30 merc lite has a 5 amp charging circuit and the 645 cc ones have 12 amp for elect start and power trim/tilt models have a 20 amp I think you may find it a pretty expensive exercise to upgrade.

Cheers

Ray

if you want to trickle charge why not mount a little solar power charger on it somewhere can buy them from supercheap to trickle charge motor bike batteries. sounds alot easier then the endeavour you wish to go on. but then again im lazy like that lol

Archived