Spare Trailer

Brian D

It has rego is braked and rated to 1350kg [img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/trailer_2.jpg

Can anyone help.

I am now usning this trailer for a tinny so I think I need to change the rollers for skids. Is this correct?

If so where do I get the brackets? I have some nice hardwood left over from a house rene that I can use for runners but where do I get the bracket?

Then how do I figure out how high to set the runners?

Please:)

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/05 08:00

post-118-144598403086_thumb.jpg

All the rollers are good and there is a new wench - I just took it off for the momment.

The brakes and the hand brake work, good tyres and there is nothing wrong with the bearings (as to my knowledge).

I would be open to any suggestions for a good cause or purpose.

Either a PM or post reply here.

[img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/trailer3.jpg

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/24 07:09

post-118-144598403093_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Brian D wrote:

It has rego is braked and rated to 1350kg [img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/trailer_2.jpg

Can anyone help.

I am now usning this trailer for a tinny so I think I need to change the rollers for skids. Is this correct?

If so where do I get the brackets? I have some nice hardwood left over from a house rene that I can use for runners but where do I get the bracket?

Then how do I figure out how high to set the runners?

Please:)<br><br>Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/05 08:00

Help please

Yes you do need skids the best place that I know of is Active Fabrications,63- 65 Logan River Road,Beenleigh 38076666 . They are manufactures and wholsalers who sell directly to the public. Their prices are aprox half what you pay in a marine shop and they are very helpfull.

Ray.

Brian

I have been looking at the photos of your trailer a bit more closely. For the time being I would try moving the winch post back and seeing if the centre rollers and wobble rollers will adjust to suit your hull.

If so leave it alone as a lot of ally boats have wobble rollers and the wobble rollers will provide a lot of support and self adjust to suit your hull. The main thing is that the centre rollers take all the weight and the boat can bobble about 1/8 of an inch side to side before you strap it down.

Ally boats are designed to have all their weight supported by the keel whilst on a trailer.That way they are easy to launch and you dont have problems with cracking near the side rollers/skids.

I would strongly recommend replacing the black rubber rollers with either yallo or other rollers designed for ally hulls. the black rubber ones will eventually get cut up and spoil the adjustment and the boat will be hard to launch. Let me know what the width of the rollers that are fitted as I may have some in my treasure trove.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/01/05 09:43

Ray

Yet again - Thanks.

I understand most of what you said but if you don't mind I'll break it down.

Move winch post - I don't think I have too if I replace the rollers with skids as the bow to stern just fits nicely on the trailer as is except the wobble rollers hang over. Photo to come if I ever get away from work.

So I suppose I could push the boat back to suit the rollers but that will make the trailer about half a metre longer. Don't want that.

Centre rollers - I will make sure this is the first thing but if I swap to skids for rollers are you saying that I should still have weight on the centre rollers? Cause I was thinking to try and spread te weigh evenly between the rollers and skids.

PS I can't see a way to push rollers forward.

Thanks ray

The boat is engineered for the weight on the trailer to be taken by the keel. If the boat sits on the rear roller and the front ones just get a couple of skids.

Use any old timber you have. the plastic skids costs about $10 retail then you will have to buy 4 posts and clamps to support the posts. What section is the crossmember on your trailer if its 50mil I may have some in the treasure chest. I will have a look and see whats there later.

Ray.

Sorry Ray but I going sound realy dumb.

When you say keel - what exactly do you mean.

I know a keel to be the pointy thing under a yacht.

Do you mean the centre piece that goes done the middle of the boat or to you mean the under side of the hull?

As soon as I get home I'll post a photo.

When you say crossmember section - I think you are referring to the bits that go accross the back and accross the middle of the trailer. If so good cause that's where I was going to attach the skids. It would be about a 1 mitre length and I would put a bracket each end.

I was thinking to rest the hull on the front, centre and rear rollers then bring the skids up to hight and tighten.

Sounds simple but I am an accountant.

My local trailer mob are shut intil monday as well! Bugger, I need to fit another roller!

keel is bottom of the V, that sits on the centre rollers.

You may be able to move your wobble rollers to the next bar that goes across near the axle if the boat has to go back to far for them to work as they are.

Dunno how satisfatory that will be, but basically for an alloy hull the side supports are only to stop it rocking, not take any weight (except when you are climbing in and out!) Found that out when I asked Ray why the silver bullet was a bugger to winch on, I was taking the weight on the slides instead of the rollers.

You want the end of the boat to hang over an inch or two past the back centre roller, no more. Although you could get away with more hanging over with no outboard on the hull.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/05 14:42

Brian D wrote:

Normally I just jump in and stuff it up.

Thats called learning by experience.

I remember when I fitted my first race car cylinder head many years ago, ordered all the way from Melbourne, a \"Yella Terra stage 5\" unit (basically same head as used by bathurst toranas). I propmtly got stuck into it and buggered it up, then I went looking for the instructions - know what it said?

First line of instructions read

\" Right - now that you have buggered it up pull the head back off and read the rest of the instructions....\"

Ha good one :woohoo: :laugh:

Do skids come with instructions?

THat reminds me - I wonder where the instructions are for my electric motor, a guy asked me how many amps it draws and I said - arrr - dur.

He said \"did you get instructions\" and I said \"off course I did\"

He then said \"well that will tell you how many amps\".

I think I took em to the tip with the box.:blush:

Brian had a bit of a look in the treasure chest. Could only find a couple of 12 inch red poly rollersand a 4 and a half inch one.

By the look of your photos you trailer has 10 inch rollers on it.

For the rear roller get a self centering one or a yallo. The yallo rollers are very good but cost more and they are self centering.

I have plenty of 50 mil clamps.

It looks like you may be able to move the wobble roller assembly to the next crossmember. That would save you the cost of fitting slides.

Why dont you just try moving the wobblies and see how it goes and change the others later?

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/01/05 18:08

Brian,

Electrics basically draw slightly under 1 amp per lb thrust, so as yours is a 54 or 55, it will draw 50 amps on full throttle.

Your instructions wont have told you how many amps they draw, nor what horsepower it is, (about 3/4) nor how long a particular battery would be expected to last. So dont feel bad about losing the instructions! They are pretty much useless.

Thats why I spent a week searching the net, and emailing min kota, pretending I had bought one of their motors and pumping them for info, to write that electric motor calculation program. :S

• 2 weeks later...

Ray / Feral I will need your help with the trailer. It is stuffed, when taking the boat off it's like pushing a brick wall and bringing it back is like dragging a dead cow.

I am just about over it, however I don't want to buy a new trailer but it's not far away.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:pinch: :sick: :angry: :S :side: :blush: :pinch: :pinch:

Dont buy a new trailer Brian, I would reckon all she needs is some TLC. Maybe she needs to get a more bum down attitude, and grease the rollers? (Fair dinkum mine was like chalk and cheese once the rollers were freshly greased)You might even have a couple of bent roller pins from carrying the big boat. (Easy enough to straighten)

We have the fishing comp on next friday, do you reckon we can maybe meet at Ray's to look at her saturday or sunday next weekend (I'll have to run it by Ray of course, he may have other plans for the rest of the weekend)

At Rays, he is only 5 minutes from the ramp, so we can muck about putting it on and off a fair bit there. (Dropping it off onto tyres is painful no matter how good the setup is!)

I'll give Ray a ring, then give you a ring. ( She who must be obeted wont let me ring until after 7, because of the wonderful phone plan she has signed us upto!:blush: )

Archived