Cod lures

Dazzamcgee

Stumpjumpers,The stumpjumpers are virtually snag proof. Predetek Vipers anything that is around 105mm long with a slow action. Knolls natives are beaut but are a collectors item nowdays and too valuable to use. Also look at the larger spinnerbaits.

Have a look at some of schultzys posts I think he prefers the predeteks and boomerangs.

Cheers

Ray

Stumpjumper No 1. got me my first one!

Cheap and available locally from Big W or BCF. Not many other cod lures available locally, some oargee's ploughs stocked, a similar price to the stump jumpers, but a smaller lure (80mm) otherwise go for 80mm predatek boomerangs or the RMG equivilants (scorpions?). Go for 5m units in the RMG's or 7m ultra deeps in the predateks.

Predatek 80mm Boomerang and Vipers

Kingfisher Mantis & Tempest http://www.kingfisherlures.com.au/

Oargee Plows

Aeroplane spinners

will run out the shed & grab some of my cod lures.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC03887_AFO.jpg

That's most of my cod arsenal, (used to be a lot bigger, including some original Peter Newell lures! but as cod fishing would have it many were donated to snags) There is some proven cod (& big yellowbelly) takers in that lot, as well as some newbies that will be tested once the closed season is over!

Oh, don't forget the tackleback either, preferably a bigger one than this one.

post-2878-144598474802_thumb.jpg

Looks like a killalure there as well, thats another brand of cod lure available locally. (Not that I like them, lures with eyes at the bum are just weird!)

Other good brands are Codbuster and Australian Crafted, but they make the price of Jackalls look like loose change.

Not quite a Killalure, Feral, very similar looking but, it's a Deception lure of some kind (the exact model escapes me though, Deception Cherax maybe?)

Agreed on the Australian Crafted & Codbusters, they look really good, but haven't yet been brave enough to purchase one to throw at snags.

Having said that I just remembered a mate's dad accidentally :blink: caught one in 3 foot of water on a worm right at his feet. It was a monster too. Best part of a metre and fat like Russ Hinze.

Talking about daytime and rivers here not dams, but I think similar would hold true. Also remember reading an article some years back (maybe 10??)about catching them on the surface at night.

ellicat wrote:

Look for a steep bank with some overhanging and or submerged timber. They tend to stick to the deepest parts/holes in my experience, so if you can couple that with other cover you're in with a chance.

Ditto what ellicat said, cast right in amongst the snags, don't be afraid to lose a few lures when chasing cod. I've only caught Murray Cod, but I would imagine that the Mary River Cod would be very similar in their preferred habitats.

Mate it depends on where your chasing them to.to which lure might be better pretty much what everyone has said is great but you can also try surface lures for a buzz in some of the southern rivers but spinnerbaits are a good all rounder but if your going to the dams trolling will be your best bet and you only have to read schultzy's post on his monster cod to work it out but a old favourite is the tenterfield dart it is a great lure as well but any of the bigger lures with a wide wobble is a start.:)

This is a tenterfield dart [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tenterfield_dart_003_AFO.jpg

post-1103-144598474899_thumb.jpg

STU wrote:

Nah I picked it up at a servo at warwick just before leslie dam about 6 or 7 years ago. Its retired now.lol

Straight to the poolroom now for that one hey Stu, they are worth a small fortune now days, I shudder to think how many of them dad & I have left hanging on snags around all our old cod holes...

Archived