Congrats Team Nordic Stage!

Obsession_Fishing

Congrats Team Nordic Stage, Nabeel Issa and Kendall Soo on their 2nd and 5th placings respectively In last weekend’s Bribie round. With these positions comes Grand Final qualification! Well done guys and we look forward to seeing you at the final!

post-9039-14459884053_thumb.jpg

Nab's overview:

Well I had an awesome weekend. Thanks to everyone that messaged me. After the prefish I had I was just hoping to finish somewhere in the top 20. Lucky the bay was closed and it gave us smaller boats a good shot at doing well. Thanks to Obsession Fishing and Cranka Lures for their support throughout the year. The little cranks served me very well this weekend and the Nordic Stage rods helped keep the hooks in all the fish. To finish 2nd and to weigh in the biggest bag for the tournament was awesome. Also congrats to Russell Babekuhl on the win and everyone else in the 10. Its good to see some new names up there!

Dell's overview:

After an average prefish where I only found fish in 1 spot I decided to hit the bay for the weekend. Come day one this plan was thrown out the window as Moreton bay was closed off due to a strong wind warning. So with no real plan in mind I decided to do what I do best and throw hardbodies on the flats.

With a low tide predicted around 830ish on day one I was surprised with how much water was still covering the flats upon arrival. This got my hopes up and out came a Loco Perrito to see if there was any surface activity. Without an enquiry for around 15 mins I decided to chuck the new Damiki crank in Ghost Smog Shell. On the second cast I got my first legal going 28cm to the tip and a 28.5 tip and 27tip fish following in the next 20 mins. 3 fish in the first 40mins had my confidence running high. I went fishless for the next hour or two when I decided to downsize to a smaller profile lure. In this case a 38mm shallow running Crackjack in Ghost gill. Hits began to flow again with some smaller fish hitting the decks. My 4th fish came around 11:30ish and my final fish at 11:58. I was stoked to get my bag but had a little guy I didn’t want in there at the end. With 20mins to go I upgraded this guy to a fish around 29cm fork length then was back to the weigh in soon after. The bag pulled the scales down to 1.77kg and put me in 4th at the end of day one. On day 2 the bay was closed again so back to the flats I went. With an even later tide on Sunday I was really confident in getting a few fish really early. This wasn’t meant to be. There was a few more boats on the flat and 2 or 3 hours cranking the crack jacks and DTSCO cranks resulted in no legals and only a handful of small fish hitting the deck. The flat had almost completely drained with hardly any water covering the weed. I focused on the channels between the weed and was able to pick up my first 2 legals in quick concession at 30tip and 26.5 tip. At 1:00pm and only 2 fish in the well I had almost given up my hopes of doing well. I picked up my 3rd legal of 27.5 tip from a weedy edge at around 1:10 and another 26tip at 1:35pm. At 1:45 I turned to my non boater and said one last cast each. Half way through my retrieve the crackjack got smashed. A small 26tip fish hit the net and I was cheering to finally get my 5th legal of the day. Back to the weigh in and my small bag weighed 1.50kg and had me in 5th at the end of the comp. I was stoked to get another top 10 finish and importantly to qualify for the Grand Final later in the year. The main tactics for the weekend was to target the channels on the flats where the weed edges dropped into slightly deeper water. The fish would move off the weed and into the channel as the water dropped.

The outfits and lures used over the weekend were.

Nordic Stage Sharpshooters with a combination of 2004 sized daiwa reels spooled with 2lb fluro straight through and a mixture of damiki and pontoon 21 lures with the Shallow running crackjack 38s in Ghost gill and the DTSCO crank in ghost smog shell being the favoured lures.

Thanks guys!

Obsession

Archived